23

There is a swelling storm
And I'm caught up in the middle of it all
And it takes control
Of the person that I thought I was
The boy I used to know
But there is a light
In the dark and I feel its warmth
In my hands, and my heart
Why can't I hold on?
It comes and goes in waves
It always does

2 weeks later.   (Not proofread, excuse mistakes please)

Entering his apartment, Mason frowned slightly at the powerful scent of food that took over his nose, making his stomach growl instantly.

Closing and locking his front door, he walked further into his home and felt his frown deepen when he saw Deja standing over the stove in nothing but his shirt, cooking dinner.

"Babe... what are you doing up?" He asked, walking up behind her.

"Making something to eat." She shrugged. "You're hungry right?"

"I am, but you're supposed to be resting. That rib won't get any better if you're up moving around." He told her.

"I feel fine, Mase." She sighed. "I'm tired of laying down and being useless, I need to be up distracting myself somehow."

Shaking his head, he decided to change the subject they were on before it got too deep, already knowing that Deja didn't need to think about what happened anymore than she already was. So he delicately wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her cheek, giving him a strange sense of déjà vu.

"Why are you wearing my shirt?" He asked, kissing her face again. "Got half your ass hanging out and shit."

"You say that like you don't like it." She giggled, playfully pressing her butt against him. "But I wouldn't be wearing it if you actually did the laundry."

"Pfft." He frowned. "You had clothes this morning, what happened to those?"

"Baby vomit, that's what." She laughed.

Frowning, Mason was almost overwhelmed at the Déjà vu he felt. Instantly remembering that dream he had a few months ago that was now suddenly vivid in his head, he felt a small pang in his heart.

"Who's baby?" He frowned, looking down at her.

"Your little cousin." She smiled. "Nikita. Anthony was over earlier to see how I was doing and I persuaded him to let her stay with me for a little bit so him and Kennedy could finally have a night to themselves, especially since Sakai was already staying with Blessing and Amir tonight."

"Oh." He nodded. "Are you sure it's okay for you to... be around a baby?" He asked, making her frown.

"What do you mean?" She asked, not really knowing how to feel about his question as she turned to face him.

"I didn't mean it in a bad way, babe... I just want to make sure you're ready for that. You shouldn't be picking her up or anything while you're hurt. Where is she?"

"She's in the room asleep." She said, still frowning. "Mason, I can manage taking care of a baby for one night. It's not hard, it's not bad, it's actually really nice."

"I know, babe. But you have to think about-" cutting himself off, he just sighed and shook his head, but Deja only widened her eyes as she looked up at him, almost in disbelief at what she knew he was about to say.

"No, Mason. I don't have to think about that." She frowned. "Why would I? I'm babysitting your baby cousin for a couple hours, so Kennedy and Anthony can have some time to themselves. Why would I need to make that about me and what happened?"