29

Walking into the restaurant Deja worked at, Mason stopped and glanced around, looking for either his girlfriend or one of her coworkers.

The two of them had been back home for only two days. And of course, she was already back at work and he wanted to come surprise her, especially since her shift was ending and they had plans to go to his parents for her birthday get together, even though her birthday was yesterday.

Successfully spotting a short blonde girl in uniform, Mason politely stopped her and asked where Deja's section was. After being directed to a certain part of the restaurant, he sat down in an empty table and grabbed a menu, beginning to look over it.

Hearing Deja's voice, he looked up and saw that she was at the table next to his, taking a mans order. She was unaware of his presence, but he continued to watch her with a small smile on his face. He enjoyed seeing her work, because he could tell that she loved it.

"Will that be all for you sir?" She asked, looking back at the man.

"Yes ma'am." He smiled at her. "You're very pretty by the way."

"Thanks." She said, giving him a small smile. "Your food should be out shortly."

Turning away from the table, she headed towards the back to give the order to the people in the kitchen. Once she was gone, Mason looked at the man that had complimented her and smirked to himself.

"You a regular here?" Mason asked, catching the mans attention.

"Huh?" The guy asked, looking at Mason.

"Are you a regular here?" He repeated.

"Yeah." He nodded. "You?"

"Nah." Mason shook his head. "It's my first time actually."

"Well, I'm sure you'll like it." The man shrugged. "They got good food, and pretty women to serve it."

"Yeah... the woman that took your order... she was bad." Mason said, shrugging a little.

"Yeah... Deja's bad as hell." He chuckled.

"You know her name?" He frowned.

"I read name tags. And I'm a regular. I've been tryna talk to her for a hot minute but she's a tough one."

"Is she now?" He asked, pretending to look surprised. "Maybe I'll try when she comes back out."

"Yeah." He laughed. "Good luck."

Smirking to himself, he looked up as Deja made her way towards his table. Holding her little notebook in her hand, she grabbed her pen and stopped in front of his table, not even looking at him.

"What can I get you sir?" She asked.

"Hmm... I didn't see you on the menu, beautiful." He said, smiling at her.

"I- babe." She looked at him and laughed to herself. "What are you doing here?"

"Your shift ends in a few so I figured I'd just come and get something to drink. And... since your birthday was yesterday and all... if you want, I was gonna let you get yourself a small drink. But only if you think you can handle it and not go buck wild with it. No addiction shit."

"That's sweet, but I'd rather not." She told him honestly. "I don't want to risk anything."

"Alright." He shrugged, respecting her answer. "I just want a sweet tea though, babe. And if you want something like a snack before we go to my parents I'll buy you something."

"I'm okay, baby. Thank you though. But I really recommend that you get a coffee. It's free." She told him.

"I don't want no coffee love. Go ahead and get me the tea and I'll be straight."