Two

* Author's Note *
Shoutout to whoever can guess what game Nat is playing!

———

I'm in the middle of a rousing sea battle and the Jackdaw is about to trash the enemy ship when Alex comes into my room. "Boris wants us to come to his office."

I groan in frustration and pause the game. "What does he want now? It's only been, like, a week!"

My brother shrugs. "I couldn't tell you, but we might as well find out. Come on, Nat. Edward can take care of himself for a few minutes."

I toss my controller aside and, grumbling under my breath, follow my brother. I should be used to it by now; being summoned without a moment's notice, but it still irritates me. All these years of we've been at his beck and call. You would think we would have earned some privileges. Maybe Boris considers these lavish quarters payment enough. I would take free will any day.

When we arrive at Boris' office, he's grinning like a leprechaun and rubbing his hands together excitedly. Great, is my first thought. It's never a good thing when Boris gets excited. It usually means one of his enemies has screwed up royally and he's going in for the kill. Or more accurately, Alex and I are going in for the kill.

"Wonderful!" Boris exclaims, gesturing for us to sit down, "You're here!"

"What's going on?" Alex asks coolly, "I thought we got more off time than this."

Well, technically Boris doesn't have to give us any breaks, but our abilities do have limits. Using our powers takes a lot of energy and if we, say, shape shift for weeks on end without a break, we would collapse. We could even die, if we pushed too far. That's why, after a very intense mission that requires us to use our abilities for a long time, Boris usually gives us a break. This gives us a chance to recharge our batteries, so to speak.

Boris raises his hands in a conciliatory manner. "I know, I know, but this is a chance I can not afford to miss."

I raise one eyebrow questioningly. "This better be good."

Boris doesn't seem to notice my attitude because he goes on without missing a beat. "Alastair Orion has made a fatal mistake."

"As in Orion International?" My brother's voice mirrors my own surprise.

Sir Alastair Orion is the founder of Orion International, the largest anti-terror corporation in the world, and Boris' arch nemesis. Orion has foiled more of Boris' plans than anyone else. And he's still alive to talk about it. That man has earned his nickname: Lazarus. He has survived countless assassination attempts from crime syndicates all over the world. He doesn't make mistakes. Not until now, apparently.

Boris carefully steeples his fingers. "The very one."

"What kind of mistake?" I ask.

Boris leans back in his chair. "He has made the very foolish mistake of hiring one Miss Stephanie King as a maid at his estate in New York." Boris gives a marvelous impression of the Emperor. "That man's freakish paranoia is about to come back to haunt him."

Stephanie King is only one of dozens of aliases that Boris created for me to use on missions when I need a real identity. I've never been Stephanie before, and there's always something fascinating to me about disappearing into someone else's life. Maybe it helps me to forget my own miserable existence. But I don't have time for introspection right now.

"Let me guess... you want me to take her identity and infiltrate Orion's estate?" I say when Boris is finished cackling.

"Correct," he answers, "I've tried for years to track Orion down, but he's like a wraith. No sooner do I have a lead then he's gone again. If I had someone in his estate, though, I wouldn't have to track him down. All you have to do is wait until he comes home for the weekend and..." He slides his finger across his throat. "And Orion's insistence that all his staff be permanently on the estate ensures you won't miss your opportunity."

"What about me?" Alex asks, a touch of irritation in his voice. He doesn't like working apart from me. It gets on my nerves occasionally; the way he seems to think I can't look after myself without him.

Boris drums his fingers on the desk for moment before replying. "Unfortunately, I was only able to acquire a position for Natalia, but I do have a use for you. You will be Natalia's liaison with me. Since there can be nothing tying Stephanie King back to me, you will be the one to make contact with me. Natalia will contact you and you will pass on her reports. Understood?"

Alex still looks annoyed, but he only nods. "Understood."

"Wonderful!" Boris claps his hands together. "Natalia, Stephanie is supposed to begin at Orion's estate in two weeks, but I want you in Ontario a week beforehand. To get acquainted with your new identity."

I already know the basics from reading Stephanie's file, but I won't argue with getting away from Boris for a while. Even if he'll be monitoring me the whole time. "Sure thing, Boss," I say at last.

Boris grins widely. "Then I will leave you to prepare."