Thirty-Seven

A short ride in the Orion's private jet later we are in Toronto. I can still vividly remember exploring the city while waiting for the mission to start. Before my entire life unraveled in front of my eyes. Before the only person who mattered was stolen from me.

Gritting my teeth, I push the thoughts of my brother away. The only reason I've been able to keep going these past days is to not think about it. As long as I keep my focus on the job I can forget that Alex is gone forever. What I will do once this is all over... I don't know. I have been keeping the shattered pieces of my heart together through sheer will, but it can't last forever. It will have to last a little bit longer, though, because I still have a job to do.

After picking up the rental car from the airport, we immediately make our way out of the city. Luke and Mrs. Orion are too recognizable, and we already took a risk hiring the rental car. Even though Luke used a pseudonym, it wouldn't be that hard to trace the purchase back to him. Especially for someone like Boris.

However, we make it to the safe house location without incident, and, as it turns out, the door isn't as hard to find from the ground. Still, it takes more than an hour a crashing through the woods to find it: an unobtrusive wooden shack. It looks like the storage sheds the wardens use to keep emergency supplies in, but, once you open the hidden trap door in the floor, everything changes.

A brief climb down a dark, narrow shaft deposits you into a plain, square space with concrete walls. The walls are blank except for the large, metal door opposite the ladder. Next to the door is a small keypad with a fingerprint reader.

I am about to curse myself for being so stupid as to think there wouldn't been security measure, but, before I can open my mouth, Luke steps forward and places his thumb on the reader. A moment later there is a low beep and a click as the door unlocks. Luke grins at me. "I figured I would have clearance."

"I would hope so," I say, pretending I'm not a little embarrassed. Luke just smirks at me, but I just push the door open and step into the safe house.

For its spartan exterior, the bunker is surprisingly luxurious. It certainly doesn't begin to compare with the Orion's mansion, but one could be quite comfortable here for an extended period of time. I mean, the place is even outfitted with its own gym and movie theater. Bring on the apocalypse.

Unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of enjoying all the amenities. In fact, if it wasn't almost dark, I would be leaving right now. As it is, I allow Luke to convince me to rest for tonight and leave in the morning. If I'm being honest, it didn't take much convincing; those few hours of sleep I got back at the Orion's estate feel like an eternity ago.

Time waits for no man, though, and morning comes swiftly. Luke insists on seeing me off, even though I tell him I'm fine. The first gray rays of daylight pierce the trees as we walk silently to the car. There are so many things I want to say, but nothing feels right. In the end, it is Luke who speaks first.

"This all happened so fast, I never thanked you. At least not properly."

I shrug without meeting his gaze. "You don't owe me anything."

Gently, Luke grabs my arm, pulling me to a stop. "Actually, I think I owe you a lot. My life for one. Several times, if we're being honest. My mother's life, too." He pauses, his gaze turning to the sky. "You sacrificed the only thing you had... for me. I know you said you were done killing for Boris, but who am I that you would choose me over... over your brother? I did nothing to deserve it. You didn't owe me anything." Now his eyes meet mine, searching for answers. "Why would you do it? Why me?"

I feel my heart catch in my throat, and I can't tear my gaze away from his. I suppose I hoped I could avoid this. Luke said I didn't owe him anything, but I know differently. I owe him the truth, even if it means letting go of the last piece of my armor.

The words are simple, but it takes more courage to say them than to face the most deadly of adversaries.

"Because I love you."