Fifteen

I find Alex, or rather Jacob standing in the foyer, gazing about him with an awe-struck expression on his face. "Cozy, isn't it?" he says as I approach.

I glance at the gleaming grand staircase. "Not the word I would use."

He laughs and gives me a hug. "Good to see you, sister," he whispers. Then he pulls back and says in a normal voice, "Think you can hook me up with a tour, Steph?"

I grin. "Sure."

As I show my brother around the house, we talk about this and that. Most of it is a bunch of pre-rehearsed babble because Orion has security cameras and audio recorders everywhere. They are quite cleverly hidden, but I know what to look for. Anyway, it means my brother and I can't speak freely. That will have to wait until we are outside and safely out of range of the security system. Although, listening devices are installed in the garden as well.

Eventually, we join the main party in the garden, and I introduce Jacob to the other maids. Naturally, they giggle and wink at me, but I just blush and ignore their teasing. If only they knew who my 'beau' really is. Sorry girls. I don't do incest.

After awhile they all drift off, eager to spend some precious time their friends and family. Alex and I grab some of the massive amount of food from the tables and find a quiet spot. I checked the area this morning, we won't be overheard. Still, we talk in low tones; you never know who might stumble upon you after all.

Boris is pleased at my progress and he wanted Alex to tell me I'm doing a wonderful job. Gee... thanks. Honestly, I don't give a frick what Boris thinks. Boris and his opinions can go straight to oblivion. Alex seems to sense my quickly growing bad mood and changes the subject. He tells me how boring it is, sitting in that stupid cabin day after day, just spying for Boris. He says he doesn't know how Jacob does it.

"He must get paid good," I say, grinning.

Alex smirks. "I've seen his paychecks. He gets paid more than 'good'."

"Don't let it go to your head, pal," I say, wagging my finger at my brother. "Jacob wants his job back after this is all over."

Alex just laughs. "I know that. I'm not planning on fighting him over it." He stops laughing and his expression darkens. "Anyway, it's not like I have a choice."

"You don't have to tell me," I say darkly, glowering at the setting sun. "I know better than anyone."

"What's with the long face, Miss Stephanie?" I barely stop myself from flooring Lucius as he appears out of nowhere. I feel Alex stiffen next to me as well.

"Luke!" I exclaim breathlessly. "Don't DO that! You almost gave me a heart attack!"

"I'm sorry, Stephanie," Luke says, but his smirk doesn't make the apology feel very genuine. Luke then nods toward Jacob. "Is this your friend?"

I nod and Jacob stands and shakes Luke's hand. "Jacob Avery."

"My pleasure. I'm Luke Orion."

Jacob's voice has just the slightest hint of an icy edge. "I gathered that."

Luke either doesn't notice Jacob's frigidity, or he chooses to ignore it. Either way, he smiles easily and addresses me. "The show is about to start and I wondering if you, and Jacob, of course, would like to join me. I know the best spot."

Before I can answer, Jacob says, "Are you not sitting with your friends? We wouldn't want to push in."

Luke shrugs. "Nah... I don't feel like dealing with them tonight, if you know what I mean."

If Lucius' other friends are anything like Sam, I don't blame him for trying dodge their company. I glance at my brother, though. I can feel the irritation flowing off him, but I can't think of a good excuse to refuse Luke's offer. Maybe if I had been cooler towards him when we first met, I could get away with it, but I chose to be friendly and now I have to go with it.

"Well... if you're sure," I begin slowly.

Even in the dusky light, I see Luke's face light up. "I'm sure."

I finally let myself smile. "Then we'd be glad to join you. Won't we, Jacob?"

I subtly nudge my brother and he nods. "Yeah. Glad."

Again Luke ignores the obvious signs of dislike. "Then let's get going. We don't want to miss the show."

Instead of leading us to the hill where everyone else is watching the fireworks display, Luke leads us back into the house. Silencing my questions about our destination, he leads us up into the attics. We bypass the servants' quarters and enter the storage area. After a bit of crashing around, Luke switches on the light, revealing a trap door in the ceiling. With a grin, he pulls the string and small ladder descends from the ceiling.

I follow him up the ladder and find myself on the roof of the main wing of the house. I can't contain as gasp of surprise. The view from up here is incredible. I can see for miles. "Pretty sweet, isn't it?" Luke asks.

"It's incredible," I say softly, not faking my awe.

Luke is silent for a moment then he says, "This was one of my brother's favorite spots. My dad's too. But my parents never come up here anymore. Too many memories, I guess." Before I can come up with a response, though, the sad look disappears and he says, "Hang on a second, and I'll find us some chairs. I imagine there's something we can use in all that junk down there."

With that, Luke glides around Jacob and back into the attic. Alex doesn't say anything for awhile; he just watches me, a strange expression on his face. For once I can't tell what my brother is thinking, but, before I can ask him what's wrong, Luke returns, lawn chairs in hand.

"Let's get this party started!" he says.