Thirty-Six

I'll give it to Alastair Orion, he knew how to keep people out of his personal data. It takes me most of the day to break through all the layers of encryption. I can't help a soft exclamation of victory as I finally break through the final barrier. Luke glances up from where he's been lounging on one of the sofas. "Did you get it?" he asks.

I nod as I stretch the kinks out of my back. "That was probably the most difficult hack of my career, but I did it."

Luke comes over to stand behind my chair. After several moments of staring at the screen he says, "I'm impressed."

I glance over my shoulder and he grins. "I used to think I was something of a hacker, but you just took me to school. I can't even begin to understand how you did that. Some of Orion International's best guys couldn't do it."

I shrug slightly. "I've had a lot of practice."

"So it would seem." Luke then drags one of the chairs over so he can sit next to me. "But let's get down to business... Where are these safe houses we're supposed to be looking for?"

"I have no idea," I answer.

Luke gives an ironic laugh. "Well, that's just wonderful."

"Don't worry," I say. "I'll find it."

Luke looks over at me. "Oh, I have no doubt."

Something in his voice sends a shiver down my spine, but his face betrays nothing. Perhaps I'm just imagining what I want to hear. Forcing myself to focus on the job at hand, I say, "You should probably begin preparing for the journey. We have no idea how long you and your mother might have to be in that safe house so you should get your affairs in order."

Luke grins. "You make it sound like I'm not going to come back alive."

I can't help but smile too. "If I have anything to say about it, you'll be back home before the month is out." My smile fades and I sigh. "But Boris is a slippery one, and I know it will be more complicated than that. It's best to be ready for the long haul."

Luke's smile fades too and he nods. "You're probably right." He then stands and shoves his chair back into place. "I'll leave you to it."

Once he's gone I get back to work. Locating the file with the location of Orion's safe houses in the mountains of data is a daunting task, but I do manage to track it down. Only to find the final itself is encrypted. I should have known. Getting into the file is a walk in the park compared to accessing the actual computer, though, and soon I have the location of every single one of Orion's hideouts.

After taking a moment to compare the list to my knowledge of Boris' intel on Orion, I narrow down the best option. Ironically, the bunker is in the Canadian wilderness north of Toronto. For its comparative nearness to a major metropolis, Orion's bunker is quite remote. There is nothing for miles in any direction. And, looking at the coordinates, we'll be hard pressed to actually find the front door. Satellite imagery is showing absolutely nothing. Well, if we can't easily find it, then Boris' lackeys certainly won't be able to just walk in.

Once I have the location memorized, I shut down the computer, restoring the encryptions as I go. No point in letting any of Orion's other enemies have a free ride into all his confidential data. Then I return the office to the state I found it in and slip out the door.

I find Luke in his room packing a suitcase. Only one, and a fairly small one at that. He must have learned to pack lightly since I saw him last. It takes him a moment to notice me standing there, but when he does, he turns around and asks, "Any luck?"

"I found a good one," I say. "Boris, and anyone else for that matter, will have a tough time tracking you down."

"Nice." Luke flips the suitcase shut. "I think I have everything set here. Carlisle believes we're heading to England for an extended trip so we won't have any questions on that front."

"You're a natural at this spy thing," I say.

Luke gives a sad half-smile. "I did learn from the best."

I drop my gaze. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that."

"Hey..." I hear Luke walk over and he places his hand on my shoulder. "I know what you meant. You don't have to apologize."

I shake my head and gently remove his hand. "Yes... I do. There are so many things I have to apologize for."

For a long time Luke says nothing. At last he sighs heavily and says, "You promised not to lie to me so I won't lie to you either. My father is dead because of you, and I get angry every time I think about it, but I'm starting to see it's not as simple as all that. We were all pawns in a much bigger game. I'm not trying to say that saving my life is going to magically make everything better, but... but if we can get out of this chess game, maybe we can have a chance to make this right. Both of us."

I look up to find Luke watching me with a strange intensity. He is right; as long as we are playing Boris' game we are slaves to past. "Then it's time to end his game."