Twenty-Seven

I feel the scream leave my throat, but it's as if I've been plunged into a vacuum; I can't hear a thing. I watch as my brother stumbles backwards and slowly collapses to the ground. I watch as the dark crimson stain spreads across his chest. I see all of this, but my mind refuses to believe it. This isn't real, this isn't real, this isn't real, races through my head, this can't be real.

I fall to my knees at my brother's side, shoving the chair out of my way with such force it's shatters against the wall. Everything I know about treating wounds races through my mind, but I know it's pointless. My brother's life is rushing out of him with every beat of his heart, soaking into the antique rug on the floor.

Weakly, his hand reaches for mine and I gently take it in both of mine. "Why?" I sob quietly, my tears falling onto his chest and mixing with the blood. "Why would you do that, Alex?"

Alex opens his eyes and his pale lips curve into a weak smile. "You were wrong, you know...," he gasps. "That day... in the woods..."

"What... what are you talking about?"

His face twisted with pain, Alex manages to lift his other hand and rest it on my shoulder. "Your life... is worth something... You-." He shudders suddenly and his face goes even grayer, but he grits his teeth and goes on. His voice is so soft I have to lean forward to catch the words.

"You have... some... something to live for now."

I shake my head violently. "Not without you, Alex."

Alex lets his hand drop from my shoulder. "Yes, you do. You can live for him... you have to live for him. I saw... the way you... looked at him. You love him."

"But I love you too, Alex..."

My brother smiles faintly. "I... know, but I know you... You... would... never forgive... yourself if... if you chose... between us... so I made... the choice... for you."

The rise and fall of his chest is becoming shallow and his grip on my hand is fading. I'm losing him. Alex opens his eyes again and looks straight into mine. "Kill Boris," he gasps frantically. "Save Luke. Do... what we should have... a long time ago. End this."

I can barely form the words, but I manage to whisper, "I will. I will. I swear it."

"Good." Alex's voice is almost inaudible now. "I love you... I... always... will..." Then his eyes slowly close and, with one final sigh, he goes still.

A strangled cry escapes my lips as I throw my arms around my brother's neck. "Don't go!" I sob wildly. "Please don't leave me! Please come back... please... please... Alex. Alex, please..."

"Well, well, well..." A cold voice says. "This has been a very touching display, but we have unfinished business, Natalia."

I look up, my tears mixing with my brother's blood and running down my face. Boris stands behind the desk with the gun trained on me. I thought I knew what hate was, but, looking at him, I realize everything I have felt up until this moment has been child's okay. I feel something rising deep inside me; a burning, raging, unstoppable fire. I will make him pay; I will make Boris pay for everything he has done.

For stealing Alex and I from our family, for stealing our lives, for stealing our humanity. He said he made me, and he was right. He made me into a monster. He should have thought twice about that. With infinite care, I lay my brother's hand down. Then I slowly rise to my feet.

Boris cautiously follows me with his gun. "Do we have an accord?" he asks. "Or do you want to join your brother."

"I won't be joining him," I whisper. "And neither will you. You don't deserve to go where he goes."

Boris frowns. "What a shame." Then he fires the gun.

I sense the bullet pierce my body, but I don't feel any pain. All I can feel is the pressure building inside me... straining to be released. So I let it. The scream comes from the very depth of my being and I throw my head back as the fire spreads from my chest down my arms to my fingertips.

Boris' cry of terror is muffled by the sound of the blood rushing in my ears. I feel a faint buzz at the base of my neck, but the inky-black tendrils snaking from my fingers don't stop. They reach for Boris like extensions of my own body, seeking to squeeze the life of him.

Frantically, he reaches for the wall behind him and a panel slides back, revealing a hidden passage. I am so close; only a few more inches. But I can already feel the strength draining out of me. There will be another time, I can almost hear my brother's voice in my mind, save your strength. Find Luke. Boris will already have someone in place as a backup plan.

It takes everything in me to let go, but I promised Alex I would save Luke... and I will never break that promise. I fall to my knees as the tendrils vanish and try to catch my breath. Boris has already disappeared and I know it won't be long before he has this whole place on lockdown. I don't have the strength the fight his whole army. I have to leave.

I look at my brother's still form. I can't bear to leave him for Boris to do whatever he wants... but I also know that this is just his body. My brother is still with me; he always will be. Reaching out, I take my brother's hand on last time. "Goodbye, Alex," I whisper. "I will keep my promise. I swear it." Then I get to my feet again... and vanish into thin air.