Forty-Two

Instead of oblivion I feel a weight pressing down on my chest, making it difficult for my frantic lungs to draw in air. Instinctively, I try to push the crushing weight off, but my fingers only twitch weakly. I may not have been shot, but if I can't find a way to get whatever this is off me, I may just die anyway.

Faintly, I hear someone shouting my name, but it sounds as if it's coming from a great distance. Even when the weight pressing down on me disappears, I can't seem to claw my way out of the fog. Gradually, though, my vision begins to clear and the sensation starts to return to my body.

Someone is shaking me insistently now, and I slowly manage to open my eyes. The air is sucked out of my lungs all over again as I find myself staring into a hauntingly familiar pair of brown eyes. Luke...?

Relief floods over Luke's face as he pulls me close and exclaims, "Natalia! Thank God! I thought you were dead... Don't scare me like that!"

I am so stunned that I can't even form words, let alone disentangle myself from his arms. I have to be dreaming right now... but his arms are solid and real around me, and the smell of his cologne is more real than any memory. "How did you find me?" I don't even realize I spoke the words out loud until Luke answers.

"I have a confession to make..." He allows me to sit up on my own. "I've been tracking you since you left."

Normally, I would be indignant, but right now it's all I can do not to fall over. "Why?"

Luke's gaze shies away from mine as he sits back. "I was, um... worried I guess. I never doubted your abilities, but I knew Gregorin... Boris... would be well guarded." He scratches sheepishly at the back of his head. "I actually intended to follow you from the start. After my mother was safe, of course. I wanted... revenge, I guess. But I see now it was foolishness to think I ever could have taken him. Let alone gotten there first."

I give Luke a long look. Yes, it was stupid of him to go after Boris himself, but I can't blame him. I know well enough the all consuming desire for revenge. Besides, I'm duly impressed that he managed to plant a tracking device without my noticing. And he saved my life...

Carefully shifting my weight, I reach out to touch his hand. "Maybe it was foolish," I say. "But I am grateful. If you hadn't followed me, I would be dead right now. Thank you."

"The only reason I'm alive to save your life is because you saved mine first."

A small smile crosses my lips. "Then let's just call it even."

Luke's face relaxes a little and he smiles too. "Yes, let's."

For a moment we just gaze at each other, but I know we're not out of this yet. Even if we took out all the guards Boris had here, I'm certain they sent out a distress signal. It won't be long before all of Oblivion is on our tails, and this time I won't have my abilities to help us escape. We'll just have to do this the old fashioned way.

Slowly, and with Luke's help, I manage to get to my feet. As I take in the carnage all around me, the carnage that I caused, I say, "We have to get out of here."

Still keeping a supportive hand on my arm, Luke nods. "I couldn't agree more. The question is how, though."

"Normally, I would just walk out, but I don't have the strength to use my abilities right now." I frown. "Besides, I can't manipulate other living things."

Luke gazes around the room thoughtfully. "Then we'll just have to move quickly and hope we can get far enough away before backup arrives."

"Exactly," I reply. "Which is why we need to get moving."

I try to take a step forward, but my legs almost give out. Only Luke's quick action stops me from crashing to the ground. "Let me help you," he says softly.

Too tired to argue, I nod and let him slip his arm under mine. I only hesitate a moment before slipping my arm around his shoulders. Taking a deep breath, I turn to Luke and nod. "Let's go."