Thirty-Three

Naturally, Mrs. Orion is skeptical about running off in the middle of the night with a complete stranger right before her husband's memorial. Actually, skeptical might be too mild a word; absolute refusal would be more accurate. I could knock her out and carry her with us, but I don't think that would help my case. With either of them.

Instead, I watch impassively from the other side of the room as Luke concocts the biggest fib I've heard all week. About how I'm a double agent in Oblivion who worked for his father and, although I was unable to warn Alastair in time, I risked my cover, and my life, to warn him that he was next.

Mrs. Orion eventually seems to buy his story, or at least she isn't flat out refusing to leave anymore. She can't really argue about the danger; there are two jagged bullet holes in the wall after all. She does have several objections, and most of them have merit. For example, wouldn't it be suspicious if both she and her son just disappeared?

The thought did occur to me, but, fortunately, I had a twelve hour flight from Moscow. "Are you required to be present at the memorial service?" I ask, interrupting Luke's latest pleas.

Both of them turn to face me. "I was supposed to give a speech," Luke replies after a moment.

"Not anymore," I say. I know it's cold, but we don't have time for this. Grief can come later; right now we have to survive. "You are going to be overcome with grief, unable to speak in front of crowd. Both of you. Only a heartless monster would question that."

Mrs. Orion doesn't reply, but Luke crosses his arms. "And after that...?"

"You return home," I reply. "Only you won't. You're going to drop off the grid. Go into hiding."

"For how long?" This time it is Mrs. Orion who asks the question.

"Until Illych Gregorin is no longer a threat."

"And how will that take?" Luke asks.

"I have no way of knowing," I answer. "But I have worked with him for a long time; I know his habits. He will not elude me for long."

A tense silence fills the room. Finally, Mrs. Orion turns to her son. "Do you trust this girl?"

Luke looks at me, his eyes searching mine. At long last he simply nods. "I do."

His mother sighs heavily. "Then I trust you, son," she says quietly. "And I can't lose you too."

Swallowing back the strange feeling in my throat, I say, "It is decided, then. Make any arrangements you need to; I'll find us a place to go."

"Okay."

Luke then gently steers his mother back to her room. A few minutes later he returns. Coming to stand behind me, he says, "My mother is taking care of the memorial. Do you need me to do anything from me?"

"Actually, I do," I say. "Safe houses. Your father must have some."

Luke wrinkles his brow in thought for a moment. "He does, but I'm not sure where they all are. I know he has a list of them on his personal computer, but that's back at our estate. Besides, they're encrypted and he never gave me the access codes."

"I can get through the encryption," I say. "But I need to be physically there. And I'll need some equipment."

"I can get you the equipment," Luke replies. "And home is just a short drive away."

I pause for a moment to consider. Going back to the Orion's estate is risky; if Boris managed to get me inside, he could do it again. But, until we find a way to disappear, it's probably the safest place Luke and his mother can be. If I knew of a place where I knew for sure Boris wouldn't find them, I would just take them there right now, but I do not. The only place I know Luke will be safe is one of Alastair Orion's safe houses; Boris does not know where they are. At least to my knowledge. It is a risk I'll have to take; I don't have another option.

"Then we go home," I say at last.