Twenty-Four

I'll give it to my brother, he's good under pressure. He doesn't even question my revelation; he just asks my location and picks me up. We don't speak as we drive back to Jacob's cabin and pack the few items we'll need to survive into a small backpack. If anyone goes looking for Stephanie the first place they are going to look is at her friend's home so we have to be as far away from this place as possible.

It is only once we are safely in the depth of the woods that Alex confronts me. Setting the backpack down he turns to face me, arm crossed deliberately over his chest. "Tell me everything."

My first instinct is to be sarcastic, but I just don't have the energy. So I tell him everything; I hold nothing back. I tell my brother every word, every thought, every action. From that first time I saw Luke to that final touch only a few hours ago. When I finally finish, night has fallen and I'm completely drained. Mentally and physically. It's freezing, but I don't even feel the cold.

For a long time Alex doesn't say anything; he just traces his finger through the muddy snow. Finally, he sighs heavily and swipes his hand on his coat. Then he looks at me, and I can see he is terrified. "My, God, Nat..."

"Alex..."

He stands abruptly, pushing his hair out of his face. "We can't let him go. We have to-."

"No!" I cry, stumbling to my feet. "Please!"

"We have no choice!" Alex says, grabbing me by the shoulders. "He saw you in the act! He has the Orion International at his fingertips! How hard do you think it would be for a guy like him to trace Stephanie King back to Boris?!?"

"I can't...," I whisper. "I can't."

"Natalia..." My brother's voice trembles.

I grab Alex's hands. "Please... please don't do this, Alex. I know the risk; I've thought about it every minute of every day for the last six months. I know the consequences. But what is my life? I haven't been living; I've just been existing for the past twenty-five years. I have no future, but Luke does. He doesn't know it right now, but he has so much to live for. I've taken so much from him; how can I take that away. I don't care about my life anymore... just let him live. Just let him live, Alex. Please. Do this one thing for me."

I see a thousand emotions cross my brother's face, but finally I see him close his eyes in defeat. "Alright..."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you...," I whisper, throwing my arms around my brother's neck. He wraps his arms around me and we hold onto each other silently.

We both know that we have likely signed our death warrants tonight, but, somehow, I don't feel afraid. I don't even feel relieved. I feel nothing at all. I know this one act of mercy will do nothing to make up for all the horrible things we have done. And, if I'm honest, it will probably be pointless in the end. My brother and I aren't the only killers Boris has in his employ. We can do nothing to stop him from sending another assassin after Luke if he finds out. Especially, since we will both likely be dead. But I won't have his blood on my hands... and that is everything.

———

Alex and I end up lying low in the town as a middle-aged couple on vacation for the next two days until we hear the news of Orion's death. Alex spent a lot of time combing the place for information, but if Luke is trying to track Stephanie down, he's not going to the police. Or anyone else for that matter. Either way, there is no reason for us to be here anymore. The job is finished; it is mission accomplished.

To avoid rousing Boris' suspicions I travel back to Toronto as Stephanie. It is a risky move, but I would rather deal with the police's wrath than Boris'. All goes well, though, and I reach Canada with no problems. For whatever reason Luke hasn't reported Stephanie. Maybe he is just preoccupied by his father's death. Or maybe he doesn't want to admit the truth; that Stephanie King is not who she claimed to be.

I can only hope, as I fly back to Russia, that Luke just forgets about me. It is a hollow hope, though. Just like my determination to forget him. How am I just supposed to forget the only person who ever made me feel alive? How do you let go of the one thing that has ever been yours? Really yours. As Boris' private jet lands in Moscow, though, I know I will have to find a way. At least for the time being. It is time to face Armageddon.