Forty

Time seems to stop as we stare each other down. Boris would have to be blind to miss the burning hatred in my eyes, but his expression is the picture of calm. It is highly likely that he has some sort of trap planned, but Boris prides his dignity above all else. So, even if he knew the situation was hopeless, he wouldn't let his fear show. We are like in that respect.

It is Boris who finally breaks the silence. Leaning back, he folds his hands in his lap and says, "You took longer than I expected."

My only reply is stony silence. I refuse to be drawn into another one of his stupid games. Never taking my gaze off his face, I press the gun against his forehead, but there is still no reaction. I stifle a growl of frustration. I want to see Boris grovel before me in terror; I should have known better.

Boris's smug grin swiftly turns into a shriek of pain as I unload a bullet into his shoulder. He screams again as I yank him to his feet and shove him up against the wall. I reload the pistol and jab it into his stomach. "I have five more where that came from," I snarl.

Even though his face his twisted with pain, Boris's voice is surprisingly calm. "I never took you as one to play games."

"I'm not playing any games," I say in a low voice. "I am simply giving you a taste of the suffering you put me through." I savagely press the gun into him. "Before I end your pathetic existence."

A cruel glint comes into Boris's eyes. "You play the righteous avenger, Natalia, but deep down you are no better than I am. You seek revenge; you enjoy having power over people. Deny it all you want, but you will never be anything more than what I created you to be. Maybe Aleksei made a mistake sacrificing himself for you. Maybe-!"

"Don't say his name!" I shriek, pulling the trigger. Boris lurches forward, his mouth open in a silent scream of agony as the bullet rips into him. "Don't ever say my brother's name again..."

"Your brother?" Boris begins to laugh, but swiftly groans in pain. When he finally recovers, he looks at me, a slightly unhinged look in his eyes. "What makes you think he was your brother? He was just another brat I picked up off the streets, same as you." He cackles wildly. "But if it makes you feel better, my dear, he is your darling, dearest brother."

I fire a third bullet into Boris's leg and he finally collapses to the ground. "Shut... up...," I whisper, breathing heavily.

"Scared of the truth?" Boris murmurs, his gaze fixed on some spot over my shoulder.

I look down at him, my whole body shaking with rage. "Don't even speak to me of the truth. Every breath you take reeks of lies."

"Truth... is a matter of perspective," Boris gasps. His suit is almost completely soaked with blood now.

Still keeping the gun trained on him, I crouch down beside him. "Perhaps it is for you," I whisper. "But I believe what is true is true; everything else is a lie." I stand again and step back. "Alex may not be my brother by blood, but he is my brother in every way that matters... and that is the truth."

I raise the gun, aiming it at Boris's head. "You are right about one thing, though; I am very like you. More than I like to admit. But there is one crucial difference between us: you will always be the same, but I choose to change. You may have made me what I am today, but you do not own me, Boris. From this point forward... I am free."

For the first time I see a flicker of fear in Boris's eyes, but I know what I have to do, and I do not hesitate. Without taking my eyes off his face, I pull the trigger and empty my final bullets into his heart. As I watch Boris's body go still, I don't feel any satisfaction... I only feel relief. I have avenged by brother... I have avenged myself. Boris will never hurt another person again, innocent or otherwise.

When I turn around to find three security offices standing in the doorway, guns aimed at my head, I am not surprised. In fact, I expected them to come barging in after I fired the first shot. Casually, I tuck the now empty pistol back into my belt. "Took you boys long enough," I say with a cool smile.