Sixteen

I will say this... Alastair Orion knows how to put on a fireworks show. All three of us are speechless as we watch the rockets shoot up into the sky, exploding into a myriad of colors and shapes. We're about halfway through, according to Luke, when Jacob excuses himself for a minute and slips back downstairs.

Once he's out of earshot, Lucius says, "Your friend doesn't like me." I look at him and he grins. "You two aren't dating, are you?"

I laugh and shake my head. "Me and Jacob? Oh, no! We're not dating. In fact, he's more like a brother than a friend, and, like any good brother, he's very protective of me."

"Good for you," Luke says then he winks at me. "But not so good for me."

I blush and look away, but Luke just laughs and turns his attention back to the show. I have to admit, this boy throws me for a loop. He flirts and teases and jokes with me like he would die if he didn't; then he basically ignores me for weeks on end. Every instinct is telling me I'm being played, but then why am I smiling tonight?

Jacob's return pulls me out of my musings, and I force myself to focus on the moment. For all my internal chaos, I am genuinely having a good time tonight. It's been a very long time since I could say that. A very long time. But that brings its own set of problems. I can't afford to let this place, these people, get inside my head. I look at Lucius and he smiles back at me. It may already be too late.

As the last firework explodes in the sky, the three of us begin to make our way down from the roof. The show may be over, but the party is just getting started By the time we make it back to the garden music is playing and people are crowding onto the makeshift dance floor.

"How about it, Miss Stephanie?" Luke says, nodding towards the dancers. "Unless your friend called dibs," he adds, glancing at Jacob.

Jacob just shrugs. "She's capable of making her own decisions."

Luke looks at me and I hesitate for a moment. I have the perfect excuse to say no; my friend is here and I haven't seen him in weeks. I want to spend the evening with him. So why am I hesitating? "Well...," I finally begin. "I don't want to ditch you, Jacob..."

My brother manages a smile this time. "Don't worry about me, Steph. I'm sure I can take care of myself for a few minutes."

I restrain myself from shooting him a dirty look. Way to leave me hanging... Instead, I turn to Luke and smile. "I guess I accept, then."

Luke holds out his arm and, giggling nervously, I take it and we walk towards the dance floor. I can feel Alex's eyes on me all the way. I know he suspects something is wrong, and I know he's not going to let the subject drop. I'm going to have to talk to him before the night, and, for the first time in my life, I'm dreading it. I don't even know what's wrong with myself; how can I explain it to Alex?

I'll have to figure it out later, though, because Luke and I have reached our destination. A slow song is playing and Luke places one hand on my shoulder and the other on my hip. Tentatively, I rest my hands on his shoulders, and we begin to move with the music. I am strangely on edge tonight. Maybe it is the knowledge that Alex is watching intently from the sidelines. Maybe it is something else. At least my muscle memory isn't failing me, even if my composure is.

"Do I really make you that nervous?" Luke asks, grinning at me. "I had no idea I was so terrifying."

I giggle nervously. "It's not that. I mean, you're not scary. It's just that..."

I trail off, and Luke says, "It's just what?" When I just blush and look down, he says, "Come on, Stephanie. You can tell me. I promise I won't bite."

I look up at him. I'm kind of going out on a limb here, calling Luke out here, but now that I've started, I might as well get some answers. I swallow hard and say, "It's just that I've heard a lot things about you. That you... that you're a player. That you tell girls you love them then disappear. From the moment I arrived here, I've been warned off you."

"But...?" Luke asks when I pause.

I bite my lip. What am I doing? Why am I suddenly so curious about what is going on in that boy's head? I guess I pride myself on being able to read people, and Lucius Orion is complete mystery to me. Honestly, it's driving me crazy. There, I think, you finally got down to the bottom it. Now what? I won't be able to rest until I know.

Finally, I sigh and say, "At first you seemed like exactly who everyone said you were. You... teased me... and... flirted with me, and I... I didn't know what to do. If I'm being completely honest... I was scared... of you. I was afraid... of offending you, I guess. I need this job... desperately... and-."

A strange look crossed Luke's face and he pulls me out of the crowd of dancers. "And you thought I would you get you fired if you didn't do what I wanted?"

If I'm being entirely honest, the thought did cross my mind from time to time, but looking at him now, I'm not so sure. I'm not sure about anything anymore when it comes to this boy. It seems like I have found someone who is a good pretender as I am. It's a strange sensation.

Luke must take my silence as agreement because he puts both hands on my shoulders and looks me right in the eyes. For once his voice isn't playful or teasing. It's dead serious. "Stephanie, listen to me... I don't pretend to be a good guy; I've done a lot of stupid things that I regret now. But I would never, ever force a girl to do something she didn't want to."

He drops his hands and sighs heavily. "As for those other girls... I don't really have an excuse. I was lonely, I guess, and I was looking for... I don't even know. A friend, I suppose." Luke smiles sadly. "I've never been very good at friends, though. I can't seem to let people in... and trust is a vital part of any relationship. A one night stand is a whole lot easier than actually working on building a real relationship. So a lot of what you heard is true, but not all of it, and I hope you can believe that."

For a long time I can only stare at Luke. I was expecting some sort of big self-defensive speech... not that. I almost wish he had just flippantly brushed me off. It would be so much easier to hate him if he laughed in my face. I want to hate Lucius Orion; I need to hate him, but how can I hate him now? I should have left well enough alone; I should never have given him a chance. But it's too late now.

Of course, Luke could be lying through his teeth right now, but I don't think so. I know lying... and Luke is telling the truth. I can see it in his eyes. What else can I say but, "I believe you."

Luke looks up at me, an expression of disbelief on his face. "You do?"

I smile shyly. "I do." Against my better judgement, I choose to believe him. It doesn't change anything in the end, though. After the job is done, I'm leaving, and we'll never see each other again. Neither of us will have anything to show for this but wasted time and broken hearts. So why am I smiling tonight?