Six

The next two weeks pass in a comfortable monotony. It doesn't take me long to adjust to my new job, and my fellow employees are all friendly. All in all, I'm pretty content. If only I could forget why I'm really here. But I've said it before and I'll say it again, nothing good lasts forever. I'm busily dusting the shelves in the library when Allie, another housemaid, comes running in.

"They're coming back!" she cries breathlessly, "They'll be here on Tuesday!"

"Who?" I ask.

"The Orions, silly," Allie says, as if it were perfectly obvious. I suppose it is, though.

"Really?" I say. Allie nods eagerly and starts to speak, but I'm not listening. Orion will be here in three days. It is time for the first stage of the mission.

Some crime lords like to make a big splash; bombs, stabbing their victim ten times, stupid power shows like that. Boris, however, is smarter than that. He likes results, not a show. That's why we're taking Orion down quietly. The plan can be boiled down to one word: Serum X. Another freakish creation Boris' scientists cooked up in his labs.

Basically how it works is that the serum attacks the victim's white blood cells, killing them. It is designed to be administered bit by bit, slowly weakening the victim's immune system until, finally, the victim picks up some germ and that kills them. Since Serum X breaks down almost immediately, it is virtually untraceable. It's the perfect way to kill someone if you don't want it being traced back to you. I can only guess at how many innocent people died to develop it.

"Steph? Steph, are you listening?"

"Huh?" I ask, quickly dragging myself back to the present.

Allie chuckles. "Obviously not. Hey, Mrs. Davenport wants us all down in the servants' hall so she can give us the run down."

"Okay." I gather up my things and hurry after Allie.

Once everyone is assembled Mr. Carlisle, the butler, addresses the crowd. "I'm sure you are all aware why we're gathered here right now. Mr. Orion and his family are returning from Paris on Tuesday. They are planning on staying for the foreseeable future so we have to prepare the house..."

He goes on about everything we have to get done before the family arrives. Honestly, the whole place is already spotless. What could there possibly be left to do? A whole lot, as it turns out. Mrs. Davenport has all the housemaids, myself included, running from dawn until dusk. I only have time to send a quick comm to Aleksei telling him the update. It isn't until Monday night that I find myself free.

After everyone is asleep, I slip like a ghost out of the ghost out of the house and into the garden. I avoid the security cameras even though I'm entirely invisible. Never hurts to be careful, you know. My brother is waiting for me a copse of trees far away from the house. I was right, guessing he was doing reconnaissance on the grounds.

"Hello, sister," he says as I approach.

"Hello, yourself," I reply with a grin. Then it's time to get down to business. I may be able to get in and out undetected, but I can't stop someone from randomly walking into Stephanie's room and finding no one there. "I assume you got my message."

Alex tilts his head. "That is why I'm here."

"Orion is arriving tomorrow, and I need the first dose. No point in wasting time."

Alex pulls the tiny vial of clear liquid out of his pocket and hands it to me. "Are you sure you don't want to keep it yourself. It would be faster."

I shake my head. "I don't want to risk someone finding it. Besides, I need an excuse to see you."

Alex grins. "Good to know you miss me."

"Nah," I drawl, "I just need to reassure myself I'm still the pretty one in this relationship."

My brother snorts. "Whatever, Nat. I'll see you around."

I casually salute. "See you around."

With that Alex fades away and disappears into the night. I follow suit and return to my room. It's been a long time since I was nervous about a mission, but I can't deny I'm feeling the high stakes of this assignment. If I'm successful in removing Alastair Orion from the equation, the biggest threat to Boris will be gone.

And maybe our last chance of freedom. Deep down, in the farthest corner of my mind, I've always wondered if, just maybe, Orion could be the key to our escape. He is the only one I know who has the resources. But, if I'm being honest with myself, it's nothing but a desperate fantasy. No one in their right mind would trust Alex and I, and I don't blame them. I wouldn't trust a killer either.