Twenty-Five

It is strange being here again, sitting in the hallway outside Boris' office, waiting to be called in. It was only a little more than six months ago since I was last here. I never liked this place, but now it just feels totally foreign. I shouldn't sitting here, coolly grinding the carpet with the heel of my boot. Really, I should be shaking in my boots. I am a good actress, though. I suppose I have Boris to thank for that.

I am terrified, though. More terrified than I have ever been in my life. I guess I wouldn't be sitting here if Boris knew the truth, but I can't help biting my nails until they bleed. Alex doesn't try to stop my nervous twitch like he usually does; he's too busy picking his sleeve to threads. I put my hand on his shoulder and he looks up at me. Silently, I give his shoulder a squeeze. "Whatever happens, we're in this together," I say quietly.

Alex smiles weakly, but he doesn't have a chance to respond because a servant comes to tell us that Boris is ready to see us. My brother and I give each other a quick glance before standing and walking shoulder-to-shoulder into Boris' office.

It is just as garish and overstated as I remember, but now there is a element of fear. Boris, however, doesn't seem to notice that anything's wrong. In fact, he seems positively gleeful. I wish he would tone it down a little; giddy does not look good on him. "Excellent work!" he exclaims as soon as we step through the door. "Fantastic! Congratulations on a job very well done!"

"Thank you, sir," I say tonelessly, but inside I'm thinking, if he only knew.

Boris isn't finished, however. Far from it. "At long last the final obstacle is out of my way!" he gloats, grinning like a devil. I suppose he thinks he looks happy. "You have no idea I have waited for this moment."

Actually, he has talked about constantly as long as I can remember, but I hold my tongue and watch him impassively. I focus on watching the second hand on the ornate, gothic grandfather clock tick round as Boris continues his tirade of victory. Finally, though, he seems to remember our presence and exclaims, "But you must be completely exhausted. Please, rest, relax. No expense will be spared for my most valued assets."

My brother and I nod in thanks as we make our exit. I hope Boris can't see the hate in my eyes. We sell our souls for him, do whatever he asks, and all we are is an asset. Numbers on a page. That being said, I would rather be just a line of code to him than be the subject of even the smallest of his affections. I would rather endure a thousand years of the world's hate than one moment of his good will.

———

It seems as if I won't have any choice in the matter, though. Boris seems dead set on making his eternal gratitude clearly known by all. Alex and I promised several months of off-time, upgraded quarters by the end of the year, whatever you can think of. At one point that would have been fantastic, but now it doesn't matter. The one thing I want I can never have.

Still, I do my best to enjoy the reprieve. I really do need the rest. But one thing I have learned in this life is that you can't outrun your demons forever. They will catch you. I am just about to call it a night and go to bed when a knock sounds on the door to my apartments. Stifling a groan, I open it to find one of Boris' lackeys standing outside. "Your presence is requested," he says then, without waiting for me to reply, strides back the way he came.

Boris promised us a couple for months at least of leave. A cold feeling begins to creep into my chest and it only grows when I see Alex waiting outside Boris' office, looking just as confused as I feel. "Do you know what's going on?" he asks.

I shake my head. "I suppose we'll find out."

A moment later a servant waves us into the room. Boris is sitting at his desk, a look of cool fury like I have never seen before emanating from his eyes. He knows.