Four

Since even Boris can't monitor me every minute of every day, I take some well deserved time off in Toronto. Technically, I'm supposed to be using this time to get into character, but screw the mission. I've never been to Toronto before and I'm going to enjoy it.

I entertain myself exploring the city and playing the tourist. One benefit of being able to make yourself completely invisible is that it's just too easy to sneak into places. Who needs entry fees when you can just walk through the walls? I only wish Alex could have come with me. He would have loved the art museums and galleries. Believe it or not, but my brother can draw beautifully. Me, on the other hand, I can barely draw a stick figure. Whatever people say, twin intuition is a lie.

All too soon Friday rolls around and it's time for the mission to actually begin. I shift into Stephanie, post a final goodbye Snap, and take a taxi to the airport. Stephanie King is an economy class kind of girl. Makes sense since she's working to pay her way through nursing school, and to pay for her sick mother's treatments. Such a good girl. I say that without sarcasm, by the way.

The flight is quick and uneventful, except the middle-aged woman sitting next to me wouldn't stop talking. She kept prattling on about her small army of dogs. Natalia would have told her to buzz off, but Stephanie ooh's and ah's over the pictures. Still, I make a quick escape as soon as the plane lands.

Alex, or more accurately Jacob Avery, is waiting for me by the exit. "Stephanie!" he shouts, waving to me, "Long time, no see, girl!"

I return his hug. "Too long, Jacob."

We drop the pretense as we climb into the car. "So, have you enjoyed your vacation?" Alex asks as he pulls away from the curb.

"Am I picking up some subtle jealousy, brother?"

Alex scoffs. "Of course not! I've enjoyed crashing around the national park, giving tours to the endless packs of tourists, and sitting alone in my cabin at night. Why would I be jealous that my sister is living it up in Toronto for a week?"

"You know it wasn't the same without you, Alex," I say, "It wasn't my choice to split us up."

"I know," he replies with a sigh, "I shouldn't punish you."

I give him a playful punch on the arm. "You don't have to apologize. I'm hacked off at Boris too." I laugh. "But since when is that a new sensation?"

"Isn't that truth," Alex says, beginning to grin a little.

We spend the weekend hiking, and messing with campers, in the national park where the real Jacob Avery is a ranger. He's one of the dozens of lackeys Boris put in place to watch Orion's estate, and right now he's on a sweet Caribbean vacation while Alex takes his place. Doesn't sound like a bad life, am I right? If only it didn't require making a deal with the devil.

But nothing lasts forever, and bright and early Monday morning Alex is driving me to The Fortress, Orion's American castle. I've only ever seen it pictures, and I can't deny I'm curious to see it up close. Of course, in my line of work, I've seen some pretty snazzy joints, and some pretty crummy ones. But I don't have a whole lot else to look forward to, so I let myself feel just a little bit excited.

When we finally pull up to the gate, we really are in the middle of nowhere. There is nothing here except trees and grass and birds. Oh, and the fifteen foot high stone wall with an electrified metal gate. Alex rolls down the window and presses the intercom button. A moment later a disembodied voice says, "What is your business here?"

I lean over Alex and say, "I'm Stephanie King. I'm the new housemaid."

A pause, then, "Do you have your clearance?"

I slip my fat packet of papers into the slot in the intercom and watch as it vanishes. "One moment," the voice says. Alex and I give each other a look. Time to see if this was worth the price Boris paid. A solid ten minutes pass before the intercom crackles and the voice says, "Welcome Miss King. Does your companion have an I.D.?"

"Yeah," Alex says, taking out Jacob's driver's license, "Will this work?"

"Yes." The slot opens again. This time it's only a couple minutes before our papers are returned and the gate swings open. "Follow the road around the back of the house. I've asked Mrs. Davenport to meet you."

"Thank you," Alex says, putting the car into gear. Once we're out of earshot, he turns to me. "Well, that went smoothly."

I check my reflection one last time. "I don't celebrate until the job is done and we're safely out."

"That's why you're the brains of this operation, Nat."

We turn a corner and there it is: The Fortress in all its glory. It is an absolutely sprawling structure made of coppery-red brick, with white, colonial windows. It's not delicate, or particularly beautiful. It's a power statement, plain and simple. And man... does it do its job well. Compared to Boris' completely overstated palace, this place is elegant. One point for Orion.

Alex circles around the building until we, finally, find the back door. An older woman in a uniform is waiting. I give Alex a quick hug. "See you around, brother."

"Right back at you, sister."

I get out of the car and fetch my suitcase before making my way over to the woman. She politely holds out her hand. "I'm Mrs. Davenport, the housekeeper. It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss King."

I shake her hand. "Likewise."

"Well, then," she says after a moment, "Welcome to The Fortress. Let's get you settled in."