Fourteen

The next two weeks pass by without any excitement. I do my job and report back to Boris at the scheduled times. I see Lucius a few times, but he doesn't ask me to any more parties. In fact, he doesn't say much beyond the basic small talk. I gather things aren't improving on the home front.

There aren't any more explosive arguments like that first night, but man... you could cut the tension in this place with a knife. Mr. Orion and Lucius stalk about, ignoring each other, while Mrs. Orion flutters nervously back and forth between them. I honestly feel sorry for the poor woman; having to choose between your husband and your only son.

So it is with a less-than-festive atmosphere that the night before the Fourth of July arrives. Kiersten and I are busily setting up decorations for the party tomorrow night. Apparently, the Orions always throw this huge Fourth bash. It's supposed to be the biggest event of the year. At least in the immediate area. Although, if you think about it, there isn't much competition.

I have never celebrated Independence Day before so I, personally, have nothing to compare it to. I'm just glad I'll be able to see Alex again. All us employees get the day off and a free invite to the party, and we can invite whoever we want. Naturally, I'm inviting my brother. Well, technically he's my friend, but whatever.

"Well," Kiersten says with a deep sigh as we finish the last banner. "I think that's the last of it."

"Thank God!" I exclaim. "My feet are killing me!"

"That's makes two of us," Kiersten replies. "Come on, let's go report to Mrs. D then we can get some sleep."

Once we've checked out for the night we begin to make our way upstairs. "See you tomorrow," Kiersten says with an excited wave.

I grin widely and wave back before escaping into my room. I would be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little bit excited. It'll be nice to get a day off. I must say I have a new respect for the people who work on Boris's estate. I would still trade places with any of them in a heartbeat, though. I wouldn't hesitate at all.

———

Dawn comes bright and early, but I don't bother to get up with it. The party doesn't start until five; I have plenty of time to get ready. I end up staying in bed until almost noon. In the end, it is my grumbling stomach that drags me out of my room to get something to eat. I'm just grateful everyone else was too busy getting ready to notice Stephanie's rather out of character behavior.

Once I grab a bite to eat, I head back upstairs to join the other girls in getting ready. There is altogether too much squealing for my taste, but I cheerfully play along. Thankfully, the girls go easy on the makeup today, and my outfit is a much more comfortable combination of jeans, Converse, and white tank.

Even with all the messing around, even the slowest of the girls are done and dusted by three. With two hours to kill, many head off to collect boyfriends, friends, and family members. I decide to take a walk around the gardens.

Even though I've been here for several months, I have really had the chance to explore the grounds extensively. I must admit they are impressive, gorgeous, even. The small army of groundskeepers employed by Orion work like slaves, and now I understand why. The sheer amount of cultivated plants is insane. There must be thousands of square feet of flower beds. There is also a maze carved out of bushes. And I haven't even mentioned all the sculpted bushes and trees. You could wander for days and never see all the little details.

Wandering is just what I'm doing when I almost walk into Luke in the bush maze. "Whoa!" he exclaims as I do weird hop-twist to avoid him. "Where are you going in such a hurry Miss Stephanie?"

"Nowhere," I pant. "I was just lost in thought. I'm sorry."

He tilts his head slightly. "No harm done." A pause then, "You going to the party tonight?"

"Where else would I go?" I ask with a smile.

He laughs. "Good point. Anyone special coming?"

There is an odd undertone in his voice, but I don't have time to decipher all the layers. "Actually, my friend is coming. I haven't seen him in a while," I reply.

For a fraction of a second Luke's brows narrow, but the expression is gone almost before I can see it. "It's good to know you have some friends."

"What is that supposed to mean?" I ask in a teasing voice.

Luke smirks at me. "I meant it's good that you have a friend so far from home. Friendly face and all that."

"Yeah, it is nice. It-." My phone chimes before I can go on. Alex/Jacob is texting to say that he's arrived. "I have to go," I say, gesturing towards the house. "My friend's here."

"What excellent timing," Luke says, still grinning. "See you around Miss Stephanie." With that he's gone and I make my way to meet Alex.