What part don't you understand?!

"You have the wrong idea," I said through gritted teeth, trying to stop myself from snapping at Jake. "He is not my boyfriend. I'm not gay."

"Sorry, I just assumed."

"Ya might wanna watch that mouth of yours then, it could get you into trouble." I could sense Jake smirking at me, but tried to ignore it by typing away on my laptop instead.

"Okay."

"Shouldn't you be sitting with your girlfriend instead?" I asked, as the professor clicked onto the next slide.

"Who?" The American asked.

"Ha ha, so funny." There was a moment of silence as everyone was typing away on their keyboards. All but Jake who was still staring at me confusedly. When I looked back up, his blue eyes were still glued onto me. "Don't act so stupid, ya know who I'm talking about."

"Okay, who is it then?"

"Emma. Ya know, the blondie?"

Jake started cackling like a witch on crack. Everyone in the row ahead of us turned to look at us. I gave them my signature stare and they immediately turned their heads back around. When Jake didn't stop laughing, I whispered, "What is so funny?"

There were tears coming out of Jake's eyes at this point. "Cause you're so far off, O'Connor." I looked at the teary eyed boy with pure confusion. Jake stopped laughing enough for him to say, "Ya know... cause I'm..." Jake stopped laughing all together and leaned against my ear, so close I can feel his hot breath, and muttered, "..cause I'm gay." He leaned back out, staring into my eyes with something I haven't really seen his gaze before. I didn't know what to say. And some feeling was bubbling in my gut, something like excitement. But I didn't, couldn't, wouldn't know why I was happy at this revelation.

"Oh."

And then there was something I was able to pull out of Jake's gaze, something I saw all the time when I looked into my own reflection: sadness.

"I thought you knew?" Jake murmured. "I thought it was obvious."

The thought of taking notes on genetics was long dead. I could not even concentrate in my own conversation with this boy. There were a million thoughts blossoming in my head. "So no Emma?"

And now anger flashed within Jake's eyes, something I'm also familiar with. "What part of gay don't you understand!" Jake yelled, grabbing the attention of even the professor. I've never heard him raise his voice this dangerously high. "It means I like boys, smartass!" Another thing, I've never heard Jake curse. He got up from his seat, the chair folding back within itself in it's rightful row, picked up his bag off their carpeted floor, and ran out the lecture hall in a nimbly fashion, excusing himself as he squeezed by people. I watched him slam the big oak doors on the way out. And all eyes were on me now, confused ones meshed in with the unamused.

And I'm just wondering what the fuck just happened!!