I'm His Fucking Boyfriend

The closest hospital was two miles away. Nobody came out to help and I seemed to have lost my phone back at the party. So in the end I ran the whole two miles to the ER, all while carrying my boyfriend. 

     I sobered up pretty quickly by the time I arrived, heaving for air. "HELP!" I screamed. "Somebody help!!" A nurse immediately came to my attention, asking me what happened. "My boyfriend was beat up! I-I tried to stop it... but it w-was too late. He keeps going in and out of consciousness." Jake was currently lying unconscious on my neck as I finished my sentence. 

     "Don't worry, we'll take care of him from here," the nurse said, smiling. Another nurse rolled a gurney in front of me and I gently laid Jake onto it. Then I watched as the nurses rolled him out of sight, past two doors that said "personnel only". 

     It was just a matter of waiting. I took a seat in the waiting room. Some dumb cartoon was playing on the television... and that was how I spent the rest of my Halloween night, watching cartoons in the hospital. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     I ended up sleeping in the waiting room overnight. When I woke up on November 1, my makeup was all smeared from the night before, making me look like some crackhead. I also reeked of alcohol and a little bit of blood. Some people were horrified by my appearance, obvious in the way they were leaning away from me and avoiding eye contact. Better for me, I thought. 

     I walked into the men's restroom, cleaning up my makeup with the scratchy paper towels and dirty sink water. Then I went to do my business. And finally I got some hot, black coffee the hospital was serving for guests. 

     It was another mindless three hours before I heard anything from the doctors. I was restless, especially since I didn't even have my phone, so I was left to watch the tv or die of boredom. 

     "Jacob Portman?" A doctor called hesitantly in the waiting room, his attention not on anyone in particular, but on the paper he was holding, his glasses slowly sliding on the tip of his red nose. 

     I immediately got up, walking towards the doctor. "How is he?" I asked frantically.

     "You're here for Jacob Portman?" The doctor asked incredulously. 

     "Yeah, I'm his fucking boyfriend," I hissed. The doctor seemed quite shocked by my language, but carried on anyways. 

     "He'll survive," the doctor insisted. "But his wounds are pretty serious, and Jacob would need to stay in the hospital's care for another day before I release him." I nodded as he said this. "Would you like to see him now?" 

     "Yes! I nearly shouted. 

     Jake was sleeping on the hospital bed. His Mad Hatter makeup was cleaned up, and he was dressed in a hospital gown. His face looked paler than usual and relaxed, his black hair covering part of his face. There were weird tubes attached to him and a heart monitor beeping slowly  in the background. 

     I took a seat by the bed, just watching him. The doctor closed the door behind him as he left me alone with Jake. I went to reach for his hand, which was unusually cold. His eyelids fluttered open as my grip around his hand tightened. "Hey," he whispered. 

     "Hi," I smiled. "How are you feeling?" Jake tried to get up, but I pushed him softly back into his bed. "You need to rest," I said firmly. 

     "Ha, says you." Jake stuck his tongue at me. "I saw you take that beating." 

     "Oh." 

  "You were trying to protect me." Jake said. It didn't sound like a question, but a statement. I merely shrugged. 

     "You're my boyfriend. I'd do anything for you." 

     Jake looked at me for a second before pulling my face towards his and planting a kiss on my chapped lips. 

     When we pulled are lips apart, Jake murmured, "I love you, too."