If you Insist

"Y-you love me?" I said incredulously. 

     "Why wouldn't I?" 

     "At the party.... I thought you left because I made you uncomfortable or something." 

     Jake didn't give me an answer immediately. His fists clenched tightly around his scratchy blankets covering him. "I-I didn't know how to react. I mean... it's crazy for me to think someone could ever love me, you know?! I mean, I'm just me!! But you said you loved me and I thought you were just trying to mess around with me. But I just can't keep it to myself any longer. I loved you ever since we started talking, and I want to know." 

     I was so happy. Happy tears even started forming, falling down gently down my cheeks. Jake wiped them away as he held my cheeks in his palms. "I love you." I said again. 

     Jake chuckled as he said, "I know." He planted a passionate kiss on my lips once again, the second time this day... but I wasn't complaining. 

     "Now for real, rest or I won't kiss you again!" I joked. "I want you back with me as soon as possible." 

     "Fine!" 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     I ended up going back to campus that evening; Jake didn't want me to sleep on those uncomfortable hospital beds just for him. But I promised him I'd come back to the hospital before he even woke up. Still, that night in my own bed was the hardest time I found falling asleep; and that is someone with insomnia talking about. I had a nightmare that night... Jake didn't make it through. He died in his sleep, and when I went to the hospital the next day, the doctor told me the news of my boyfriend passing away through the night. 

     I woke up at 4:30, screaming so loud I woke up Millard above me. 

     "WHAT HAPPENED?!" 

     "Oh... sorry Millard. Just a nightmare." 

     "Do you need help falling back asleep?" 

     "No, I'm good. You can go back to sleep." 

     "If you insist." And with that, Millard fell back to sleep just like that....... I envy his ability to sleep!!!! 

     I skipped all the way to the hospital at  6 in the morning. I haven't slept since I woke up from the nightmare, so I was running on caffeine at this point. The receptionist at the front desk persisted that visiting hours started at noon, but I gave her a very sappy story, and she eventually gave in, and I was back at sitting in the chair before Jake's bed. 

     I really enjoyed watching Portman sleep. He looked so relaxed in his sleep. When he was awake, Jake tended to look rather worrisome, even when he was happy. But in his sleep state, all I could see was peace. 

     Around 8 o clock, Jake started stirring from his slumber. He started turning around, and when he faced me, his blue gaze opened up. He nearly jumped out of his bed, shocked to see me there. 

     "Told you I'd be here before you woke up," I smirked. 

     Jake didn't say anything, just smiled that beautiful smile of his. I pulled his face towards mine, giving him a kiss on the cheek. "Time to get you out of here." 

     "Please do !!" Jake whined. I laughed at his comment. 

     "I'd never let you out of my reach again!" 

      The nurses eventually gave into the room, running their daily check up. And then the doctor made Jake answer a questionnaire on how he was feeling. 

     And by 3:00 in the afternoon, Jake was coming back to campus with me, and I couldn't have been happier. 

     Author's note: Sorry for the rather boring and short chapter. I was drunk as I wrote this and I had to write how Jake ended up coming back to campus. Still, I hoped you enjoyed :)