XIX

Subaru rubbed the spot where the item hit his head and turned to face Yume but just like always she would disappear. Subaru stood up so that he was in a sitting position on his bed and grabbed the item. It was baby pink pencil case. He frowned because the pencil case belongs to Yume.

"What does she mean?" He opened the pencil case and saw that the items were missing. He frowned. The pencil case was filled with pencils, ball pens and erasers. The only thing inside the pencil case was a multi colored ball pen. Subaru grabbed the pen.

"This was her favorite ball pen."

Without another thought, he unscrewed the cap. He got out of his reverie but noticed something. When he unscrewed the cap of the pen, there was a piece of paper laying there. Confused, he grabbed the paper and stared at it.

"What would a piece of paper be doing inside here?"

He opened it and the next thing he found that there were words written inside. Now he knows Yume but what was written here didn't make sense to him. He recognize the writing alright but what is written by her didn't make sense.

"What you seek is the key but you must seek the ones that needs seeking. Behind the books is another day for behind those pages is a way? What does that mean?"

Subaru had no clue.

"I'll think about this tomorrow. Oh no, what time will they surprise Ezra?" Subaru said in horror.

But Subaru decided that he'll ask in the morning.

.

"London bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down. London bridge is falling down, my fair lady."

"Stop singing Yume."

Yume giggled. Subaru sighed and rowed the boat slowly.

"London bridge is falling down,-"

"Yume!"

Yume laughed out loud. Subaru gave her a soft glare as Yume stick her tongue out playfully. Instead of singing the song, she hummed the tune while she caressed the water.

"Alright that sounds even more creepier."

Subaru shivered.

"Okay I'll stop if you want."

Silence enveloped them. Subaru looked at the clear sky and sighed. There was nothing that can ruin it.

"Hey Subaru, the sky looks like your eyes."

Subaru blushed.

"No it's not."

"Hehe."

The winds that were calm started to become harsher. Subaru and Yume wobbled a bit before the water became violent too. The sky became darker and darker and they were slowly getting wet.

"They didn't say that it would rain this hard!"

Yume yelled.

Before any of them could do anything, the water rocked the boat and they fell on the water. Swimming harshly up to the surface, they both breathed out harsher.

"Wha-t."

Yume coughed. Subaru coughed out the water. They couldn't dodge the wave coming toward them, and it hit them hard.

"Subaru!"

Yume yelled. But it was too late, before Subaru could do anything, the boat hit her by the head.

.

Subaru didn't go back to sleep after that. He just played on his bed, frightened to go back to sleep. He checked the time on his phone, 5:04 am. He glared at the ceiling before sighing. He hated it. He hated dreaming about Yume dying. Subaru decided that he would just figure out what the words written in the paper meant. He grabbed the paper and thought very hard. He did seek for the key but what kind of key is she talking about? Behind the books is another day? And behind those pages is another way? What does she mean about that?

Subaru got up and phone in hand and headed out of the room. Behind the books? So the key must be behind the books. But behind the pages is another way, so there could be another piece of the riddle? But books? Where would the books be? Subaru stopped. The bookshelf maybe. Subaru tried to manoeuvre in the dark but failed so he looked for a switch. Failed, he sighed and tried to remember where he could find a possible source of books.

Still tired, he tripped on nothing, opened doors and finally he found a room. There were at least four bookshelves inside the room and the bookshelves almost reached the ceiling. Sighing, he slapped his checks and made sure that he had the light on. Searching for the key will be difficult.

.

After an hour went by, Subaru finally found what he has been looking. He found it on the third bookshelf, at the very first line of books at the top. When he did try to pull a book out, he noticed that it wasn't real. They were just cardboard with a picture of a book. So he pulled it and there he found it. A white pen. He grabbed the pen and found nothing. Tired, he left the room, along with the pen and prepared himself some breakfast.

After thirty minutes, he grabbed the pen and investigated it. This pen belongs to Yume. Maybe, just like the before, a piece of paper is inside the pen. So he dismembered the pen and he did find a piece of paper. He unravelled the  paper and he read it out loud.

"This is not the key you seek but another way to seek. The other piece of me is in the cabinet in sight."

Subaru frowned. The cabinet in sight? But there were many cabinets in sight! Subaru heard a sound from his phone and checked to see what it was. Subaru sighed in relief, it's Nanakura and she said that the surprise will start at 2 in the afternoon. So that just means that he has a bit of time to find the rest of the riddles that may be hidden inside the house.

.

It's already 1:25 and Subaru is waiting for Koharu to pick him up. The cabinet clue was actually the cereal cabinet, well what used to be the cereal cabinet, and at the very end of it stood a white eraser with the clue, "Good your true, fill me your truth. I'm inside a tube where you can look." And the answer to that is a mirror. The next clue is stuck to a pencil. And it says "Scrub, scrub, scrub, I'm inside." And the answer surprisingly is a soapbox. And the next clue is an eraser that's in the shape of a cupcake with a piece of paper stuck in it. Subaru didn't read the paper because he might forget the surprise.

He heard a beep outside and he opened the door to see Koharu's car. He went inside and greeted her.

"Ezra has no idea."

"Yeah?"

Word Count : 1110