XXIV

Present

Now Subaru is trying to figure out what the note meant. How can you look into her eyes if she's already dead? Subaru found an answer.

.

Subaru waited for the clock to strike ten. He laid on his bed pretending to sleep and waited for Yume to appear. Not long after the faint scent of strawberries and vanilla filled the air and Subaru jumped from his bed and looked at the ghost who seemed to be surprised by the sudden outburst. He stared at the ghost's eyes and said "Found you." But to no one's surprise, she disappeared.

Subaru groaned in frustration. What does she mean by look into my eyes and say "Found you."? He has no clue. Subaru decided to sleep it off and that he'll think rationally in the morning.

.

"I- what?"

Subaru asked surprised.

"Yes Su-baru. You s-slept for 3 da-ays straig-ght. Ever-ryone is worried y-you know."

Subaru couldn't believe what he was hearing. He was asleep for 3 days. Straight. He didn't even realize what day it was when he woke up. When he woke up it was morning so he assumed that yesterday is today's yesterday but he didn't realize that yesterday isn't today's yesterday. So he got up like usual, took a bath and prepared himself breakfast. He had his phone with him and it was on silent mode. So when he opened his phone, he was very surprised to see it with a lot of missed calls and messages. So when he decided to call Koharu, he was surprised that she answered immediately. He was very surprised when she answered the phone crying.

"How could I sleep for 3 days straight?"

On the other side of the call, Koharu blew her nose.

"We d-don't know e-either." Sniff. "We were worried." Sniff. "Ako st-started panic-cking."

But Subaru really guessed that it was her who started panicking.

"W-we called. A-and ca-called but you," Sniff. "wo-wouldn't answer." Hiccup. "You w-won't reply."

"I'm sorry Nanakura-san."

Hiccup. "Y-yeah. Don't ma-make us worry."

"I'm really sorry. I won't."

"Okay." Sniff.

"Bye."

"Bye."

The call ended and Subaru still couldn't believe it. He thought back to the encounter of Yume and shivered. Maybe this is a punishment? Who knows. Subaru still hasn't got a clue. Although he realized that he wasted 3 days of looking for a clue. 3 days. Subaru really needs to start looking if he needs to find out what he's looking for. And fast, he's wasted 3 days already. What more can he lose?

.

"Subaru? You don't look so good."

Subaru laughed dryly. "Yeah?"

Zen placed down the tray in front of Subaru. Lasagne and a cup of coffee now in front of Subaru as Zen sat on the seat in front of Subaru. "Have you been sleeping well?"

Subaru grabbed a fork and sliced himself a piece from his lasagne. "I slept for 3 days. Does that count?"

Zen shook his head. "No."

"We were worried you know?"

Subaru nodded his head absent mindlessly. Zen let out a sigh. "Of course Nanakura-san almost called the police."

Subaru choked. Zen grimaced.

"The- police?!"

"Almost." Subaru drank from his cup. "Kasumi-san stopped her though."

Subaru shook his head.

The door to the cafe opened and Ezra came in. Subaru instantly remembered the confession they told him and Koharu. When Ezra saw Subaru at the table, he instantly went over.

"Subaru-san! Are you okay? Are you alright?"

"I'm okay Ezra." Subaru forced a smile at Ezra's direction. Ezra didn't seem to be convinced by the smile and sat beside Zen.

"What happened? What-" before Ezra could continue, Zen cut him off.

"He's okay Ezra. He's okay."

Ezra didn't seem to be convinced. Zen shook his head and left the table. Subaru forced himself to eat a slice from his lasagne and waited for Ezra to say something. When he didn't Zen arrived with a small paper bag and handed it to Ezra. Ezra gave Zen a small smile and stood up from his seat.

"I'll see Ezra off Subaru." Zen gave Subaru a small smile before heading towards the door. Ezra too gave Subaru a small wave as Subaru returned it with a small smile. Subaru looked down on his cup and stared at it. Something orange was caught in the reflection of the mug and Subaru froze. He turned to look around the cafe and it was gone.

.

Another 3 days went by and Subaru didn't know what to do. He debated on calling Koharu and thought that maybe she could help but he immediately drowned the idea. He actually wanted to find what ever he was looking for and give Koharu a call. He didn't know when he would be able to find the answer but he is willing to do this alone.

With nothing else left to do, Subaru laid on his bed and thought hard. The image of what he saw in the cafe 3 days ago flashed in his mind. Orange. Why did it have to be orange? The same orange that Yume had in her eyes. Her orange-brown eyes. Orange. Orange.

Subaru froze. He finally had the answer. Without another thought he ran.

.

As he neared the house, he immediately knocked at the door urgently. When the door opened, Subaru didn't hesitate. Staring into those orange eyes, Subaru said in a exasperated voice, "Found you."

Word Count : 917