XXVIII

"Who's the letter for Subaru-san?"

Subaru placed a piece of the cake on his mouth. "Nanakura."

"Koharu?!"

Subaru nodded.

"But why?"

Subaru shrugged. "I thought you knew."

"I did know about the letter but not who it was addressed to. She never told me."

Ezra looked awake now. "But why would she address it to Koharu when she made me write those riddles for you to find it..."

Ezra shook his head. "Did you give it to Koharu?"

"No."

Silence. Zen arrived with another tray and placed it in front of Ezra. Ezra immediately latched for the coffee and took a sip. Zen shook his head.

"You guys should stop drinking caffeine."

.

Giving it to Koharu, how should he do it? When he, himself, has been keeping this a secret. The nightmares, Yume's ghost, the scavenger hunt and Ezra's confession. Subaru kept all of this a secret from Koharu. Subaru promised himself that he would call Koharu when he found something but know that he has, he couldn't bring himself to call her.

Let alone talk to her what he found. He doesn't know where to start. Ezra is know free to tell anyone about Yume's last months. He's free to tell anyone about it. But if he's going to tell everyone, where will he start? He even had a hard time telling Subaru about it. So how would it go if he told everyone? But if Subaru were to think about the situation more clearly, if Ezra were to tell someone about it, it would be Koharu. But how would Koharu react? That is question.

So if he were to give Koharu the letter and she asks where did he get, how will he answer? Will he start from the very beginning? He could but what beginning? He doesn't know but he really needs to give the burden. Subaru feels like another nightmare might come if he doesn't give the letter.

.

It was a gentle hum. A hum that came from outside the window.

"What are you humming?"

It's a familiar tune but Subaru can't fully distinguish it.

"I don't know. It's kind off sad isn't?"

"Yeah it is. Stop humming it."

The humming stopped. "Why?"

"It's sad."

"You're just trying to say that my voice is terrible right?"

Subaru scoffed. "No."

A face came in sight from the window, Yume stuck out her tongue. "Your too nice."

"I'm not."

Rumble. The sky went.

Yume directed her attention to the sky. "It's getting dark. I think it going to rain."

"Yeah?"

Yume turned around to face the window again. "I'll come inside." She smiled.

.

Subaru bolted awake. What came after that shocked him. He will never get used to these nightmares. He just wished that these nightmares would go away. Let him sleep in peace. But not to peaceful, he doesn't want to sleep for another 3 days.

.

3 days later, because of the reoccurring nightmares, Subaru decided to call Koharu.

"Hey Nanakura."

"Subaru?" Yawn. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"It can't be nothing Subaru, it's four in the morning."

Subaru chuckled dryly. "I'm sorry. It's just that I wanted to talk to you about something."

Koharu yawned. "Something? Okay what is it?"

"I want to tell you in person."

"Oh." Koharu stayed silent. "I'll drive to your place then."

"No Nanakura." Subaru bit his lip. "Just go back to sleep and we'll talk about it in broad daylight."

Koharu yawned again. "Okay. I'll come by at ten."

"Okay."

"Bye."

"Bye."

Subaru ended the call. It's now or never.

.

"It's really rare of you to call me so early in the morning Subaru."

Subaru gave Koharu a glass of water. "Sorry. Nanakura, I just woke up and decided to call you."

Koharu accepted the glass and took a sip from it. "So, what do you want to talk about?"

It's now or never. Subaru took a deep breathe. "I found something."

Koharu almost dropped the glass. Almost. "You did? What is it!"

Subaru wanted to punch his gut. Slowly, he gave her the letter, the writing faced her. Koharu's eyes widened at this. Subaru saw Koharu holding in her breathe as she stared at it, making sure that it's not an illusion. What felt like hours, Koharu finally reached for the letter.

"W-What did it say?"

"I don't know."

"Did you read yours?"

"It's only for you."

Koharu blinked. "What?"

Subaru wanted this feeling to be over. "It's only for you."

"Why?"

"I don't know."

Koharu stayed silent. Not knowing what to do. Subaru wanted to cry. For the first time, he wanted to cry.

Word Count : 766