XXXII

In my last dream, Yume is alive.

My eyes were closed but I can feel the wind blowing against my skin. I can hear the waves crash against the shore. I can smell the ocean breeze. All I can see is darkness. I can feel the sunlight tap on my eyelids as I slowly opened them. My eyes adjusted to the light until I can clearly see what is in front of me. There stood a girl in a white Sunday dress with flower decorations. The flowers were of different sizes and of different shapes but the colours only escalated from yellow to pink to orange. She had fair skin that was shadowed by her huge hat. Her hair yellow with pink, hair basically ombre, billowed in the wind freely. A hand placed on top of her hat to keep it from being blown away.

I finally noticed a soft hum in the air. A sweet melancholy Christmas song. A song I've heard from a radio last 4 years ago on Christmas. When me and Yume went Christmas shopping for gifts for everyone. I heard it when me and Yume rode on a taxi on the way home. I remember Yume tearing up about how sad the song is. I remember her asking the driver if he knew the title of the song. I remember the driver shaking his head and I apologized to him. I remember Yume humming the song when we arrived home. I remember Yume searching desperately through social media accounts while eating ohagi for news about the song. I remember Yume asking the girls about a song she heard and hummed it to them. I remember Laura saying the title and Yume hugging her.

Slowly, I walked towards her. I could feel my foot slowly sinking in the sand as I walked. I could feel the heat against my skin. I could hear the hum louder now. I stopped right beside her. I could finally see her face. She had beautiful round orange-brown eyes. Her cheeks were flushed pink and she had strawberry lips in which she wore a smile on her face. She's beautiful. She continued to hum the song as I stared at the horizon. She stared at the horizon as well. She hummed to the song also including the instrumental. Then she stopped. I waited for her to hum again but she didn't. I looked at her and I found her staring at me, her smile never fading. We stared into each other's eyes, until I figured out what she wanted me to do. I hummed the part where she left of.

"So you do know it." She laughed.

I nodded my head. She looked away and I looked away as well. This song isn't something you'd hum on a day at the beach. Besides, it's a Christmas song and it's summer here. It seems a little wrong with this setting. But nonetheless I continued to hum the song. From the corner of my eye, I saw her swaying her head to the song slowly while her eyes where closed. She looked so in peace. For a while, I stopped humming the song. She slowly opened her eyes and stared at the ground. I slowly watched her as she fiddled with her skirt before she let it fall in its place. She turned to face me nodded her head. As if we only met.

"Hi Subaru."

"Hello Yume."

"Mmm." She sighed.

"What a nice day."

I snickered. "Yeah. Soon a storm will come and destroy the beauty of the beach and the people in it."

She lightly punched my arm. "What are you saying?"

"I didn't stutter."

"What?" She laughed harder.

I stared at her. The wind is blowing at her face, hat, hair, dress and skin. She looked so beautiful in white. Her face looks so alive. Her smile is radiating. Her laugh charming. She looks so vivid. This doesn't look like a dream anymore. This isn't even a memory. If this were a memory, this would be the most beautiful and painful memory of all. The fact that she's beside him, looking well and alive, just made his heart ache with warmth. She looks so carefree without a care in the world. She stopped laughing and shook her head. Silence followed as neither of us decided to break it. Then she let out a sigh.