Chapter 27: Marcus

My parents were already home when I came in and judging from the lights that were still on, they were probably still awake. Feeling reluctant to inform them of my arrival, I snuck into my room, opening and shutting the door as quietly as I could before collapsing on the bed.

 The information I received today was too much to digest, but I knew I had to jot some hints down. I laughed sarcastically at how miserable my life had become, considering that I had to think hard to even get a clue about what happened in the past.

 If it wasn't for the unknown, I wouldn't have pursued the matter and would have just endured every pain that came with the memory recovery. At some point, I had thought I was like the others, donning designer clothes, at the top of the food chain, studying hard to make our parents proud and loving without restraint.

 But deep down, that voice had always whispered in my ear, telling me that I was different and no matter how hard I tried I was never going to fit in, not sure whether that was a gift or a curse.

 I would be lying if I said what Sheebah told me hadn't been bothering me, the sentence kept replaying in my head and at some point I started feeling a headache coming on.

 Fortunately, my drug was just in sight and I hastily downed it with water, breathing in and out like my therapist had instructed. I hated that she could affect me without really trying and the fact that she was foul-mouthed wasn't helping either.

 'What goes around comes around' I wrote the words down on a sticker note, and pasted it on the board I had just purchased and traced the lines. Jenny, Shayne and Becca, Marcus, Edward, Kennedy and Sheebah. Those were the few people I had had encounters with for the past two years.

 The matter was getting interesting, but unfortunately I knew I wouldn't have the time to pursue this matter now, thanks to the exams but hopefully after I will be able to untie the knots one after the other.

 I turned the board back to its usual position and looked out, before shutting the blinds. I switched on my nightstand lamp and tucked myself in. Alone with my thoughts, loneliness and burdens. I promised myself to find out whatever it was I had forgotten.

On the other hand, I couldn't stop thinking about Edward. My cheeks flushed hot and my heart kept beating loudly. Although I could be considered naive when it came to matters between a male and a female, that didn't mean I was oblivious to it. I didn't need anyone to tell me to know that I was already falling.

....

 I was tossing and turning on the bed when I received a notification on my phone. Tracing the nightstand with my fingers, I managed to find my phone and picked it up. When I unlocked it, I saw it was a message from Marcus since I had saved his number the other day but had forgotten to delete it since he hadn't called since then.

 If there was an impression Marcus left on me, it was that he was mysterious. Like a bottomless sea. I wasn't in a hurry to check the message since I thought he wanted to tease me but when I did, my eyes almost jumped out of its socket and a smile formed on my lips.

...

 My mom had once told me that I was addicted to caffeine when I was younger and has even gone out in the middle of the night one time we ran out of it just to buy it. When I inquired some more, she had told me that I was a study freak and I would usually stay up late at night to study. Since coffee always helps to kill sleep, I would always have a cup in hand.

     But when I awoke from the accident, it became what I despised the most. I didn't have to be told that because till date, I still had that disgust for coffee and particularly, I hate the smell.