Chapter 32: Regrets

Awkward. Silence. And regret. Those were the three words that could express what I was feeling right now. Earlier, I had made an appointment with Matt and even though I didn't put many efforts to my look, I was sure my Chanel cross bag was screaming money! But since it matches my outfit well, I had no other choice than to use it.

 If I had known that what awaited me was not only Matt but a gloomy Edward who stood out like a sore thumb then I would have refused immediately but there was no room for regrets since I was already here, moreover I wasn't one who left things halfway done, so I decided since I was already here why not stay?

    I must say, I knew something was fishy when Matt changed the location but since it was a public place, I was sure there was no way he could take advantage of me.

 JJC, was a very luxurious hotel located downtown and the privacy and services was top-notch. It wasn't a place that could be booked by every Tom dick and Harry, not to say an overnight rich kid as they placed utmost value on status and would only host five people a day plus it only opened during the weekends and the cue of people wanting to dine here could fill up the entire street and more.

 Staring at the mouthwatering dishes in front of me and then back at Edward and his 'friend', I was backed to a tight spot.

   However, the food was innocent, and It deserved to be treated better thus with that in mind, I picked my chopstick and dived in. Matt had ordered a Japanese cuisine and I naturally had no problem with it since I have been missing the taste of it. It even served as a better distraction since there was too many to chose from.

 Following my lead, Matt also started eating but with my side eye I noticed Edward glaring at him, and he fearfully dropped his chopstick. I almost choked on my sushi, so I quickly picked up a handkerchief from the table, to wipe the food at the side of my lips and also as a cover to hide my laughter.

   When I was done, I cleared my throat and felt the temperature drop by half. Sitting here with two strange dudes was enough trouble but with the both of them staring at me as I ate, I couldn't help but look up, shooting them a questioning look.

    "Oh my!" Matt cried out on pain and I turned my head to the culprit, but he didn't move an inch, like I hadn't seen him pinch Matt.

 "Why is he here. I thought it was just the two of" I complained but stopped mid-sentence when I heard how ambiguous it sounded.

Again, I pretended to cough to remedy the situation.

   "What? I can't be here" I heard Edward ask and I shuddered before nodding.

 "Exactly" I replied.

 He didn't look the bit disturbed by my words and finally for the love of God picked up his chopstick to eat. He dipped the fish in his mouth and chewed it slowly.

   "Matt made me come" I glared at Matt, and his mouth widened in shock as he stared at Edward who only shrugged before continuing to eat.

    "You clearly" He was about to say when Edward interrupted "told me to come with you" I rolled my eyes at the banter between the both.

 "Looks like I am interrupting something?"

 "Of course not but I was definitely not expecting a third wheel" I retorted sharply.

 What I had planned to be a childhood reminiscent turned into a disaster thanks to Edward.

 I made up my mind to avoid him in the future, that is if he doesn't go out of ways to appear in places he was not needed. Angrily, I chewed on my fish and moaned in pain when I accidentally hit my tongue.

 "What's the problem" Edward asked almost immediately and If I didn't know better, I would have thought he cared.

 Even if he did, I didn't want to know, so I ignored him and pretended not to hear, but damn did the tongue hurt. It was definitely bleeding, that I was sure of.

 I suddenly started imagining things I could be at home doing if I hadn't accepted his dumb invitation of talking over coffee.

 "So cat, it's been long" heard that you got into an accident." he stopped as if fearing that I would be hurt before saying

"Should be the reason why you don't recognize me"

 So he already knew I was pretending to know him? Since he already knows, then there was no point to keep acting, so I shed all pretenses and put on a serious look.

 "I only played along because I found you annoying and wanted to get some things out of you" I replied plainly since that was in fact what was on my mind then.

   "So what are those things you wanted to get out of me?" Judging from his tone, he wasn't offended, in fact his voice had some playfulness attached to it, which made him seem like a very broad-minded person that wouldn't get annoyed over such light words.

 "We grew up together right?"

 "I thought you couldn't remember." 

"Saw your picture on my elementary school year book, moreover I have heard someone talk about you." I lied. The first part was true but me knowing I grew up with him was only guesswork on my part but when I got home earlier, I had done a little research on him and therefore was able to find out some things about him.

    "What a good eye you have there. Actually I also invited you out to see if the rumors was true." his words has been revolving around my memories since we first got here, and I wondered if he was intentionally trying to make me feel bad.

He groaned in pain again, and I didn't even bother to look this time.

 "OK so what was I like, I mean as a child?"

...

 Third Person P.O.V

 From the beginning to the end, Edward didn't interrupt his friends explanation since he himself had been absent during the major part of her life. It was something he would forever regret.

 If Cather had looked then at Edward, she would see that behind that nonchalant look was curiosity, he had forced Matt to take him along because he was jealous. Jealous that she was going out with someone else but wouldn't even want to meet his gaze.

 His feelings changed from remorse to regret then back to remorse as he stared at his beloved from the side of his eyes. If only she knew how much she meant to him. If only she wouldn't go around with that Marcus and only focus on him, if only she paid him a pinch of the attention he had given to her, perhaps she would realize. Realize what exactly?

 Writer: Edward what exactly do you mean by those thoughts?