Ch. 2

Tom woke up again in a cold sweat, his blanket and his pillows all scattered across the floor. He sighed, thinking about the creepy nightmare he had as he changed into what he usually wore and walked downstairs. "Ahh, Tom! Good morning!" Edd exclaimed, flipping a pancake. Matt was smiling as well, eating a chunk of scrambled egg that was attached to the end of his fork. They seemed... somehow eerily happy...

"What do you want to eat?" Edd asked, as Tom groaned.

"Hangover?" Edd asked, flipping the pancake again and setting it aside on a plate. Tom shook his head.

"How are you so happy?" Tom asked, as Edd scratched his head.

"Why shouldn't we be? It's a Sunday, we don't have to work, and I just got my paycheck." Matt giggled as Edd's reasoning, as Tom sighed. "I'm talking about-" A door slammed upstairs as Tom almost fell off his seat. He looked up the stairs to see who it was, as someone came downstairs wearing a red hoodie and a pair of black jeans.

Tord.

"Oh, Tord! Good morning!" Edd said happily, setting another pancake aside and putting it on Tord's side of the dinner table. Tom watched as Tord opened the fridge and poured a glass of milk, ignoring the food and sitting on the living room couch, surfing through channels until he stopped at "The Cats." Tom just stared, looking back at Edd, then Matt, and then Tord.

23 days.

The dream was a reality? What in the mother fuc-

"Edd, what day is it?!" Tom practically screamed, standing up and putting his palms onto the table, creating a loud noise. Edd flinched and sighed.
"Relax, it's May 24th." Edd said, sitting down at the table and starting to eat. Tom rubbed his temples and tried to remember what happened on May 24th last time.

"You okay Tord?"

"Of course he's not okay dumb ass."

"He just tried to commit suicide, why would he be okay?"

"Well why didn't you do anything about it then, huh?"

"Do you not remember what he did to your face?"

"He tried to kill us! He destroyed our house!"

"He's not like that anymore!"

"YOU DON'T KNOW THAT!"

Tom shivered at the thought, taking another bite out of his food that had turned slightly cold. He turned and looked at Tord, making sure to not repeat what he did last time.

He was getting another chance.

And he had to use it wisely this time.

Tom walked up to his room, slamming the door and sitting at his desk.
"On May 24th I was pretending to be Edd when I went inside Tord's room..." Tom muttered to himself, rubbing his temples from stress. "Not going to do that..." He muttered to himself, looking at an old picture of all four of them standing in front of the old house four years before. He felt warm on the inside, smiling at the sight. He stopped smiling and stood up, walking over a calendar. He circled "June 20th" as his last day in red pen. He only had 27 days to set things right.

"All I have to do is make sure Tord doesn't kill himself..." Tom said to himself, dropping the pen onto the floor and sitting on his bed, feeling like he was on the verge of crying. If he wasn't able to do it, what would happen? He got a second chance my some miracle that knew how Tom loved him, but what if he didn't succeed?

Tom slapped himself across the face and wiped his tears off, breathing in slow, shaky breaths.

"I won't let that happen. I won't let that happen. I won't let that happen." Tom repeated to himself, slowly standing up and picking the red pen off the floor. Slowly, he crossed off May 24th off the calendar, marking it as,

'Day 1; the game begins.'
[647 words]