Ch. 4

Day 2: The game continues...

Tord yawned and got up in his bed, raising his arms over his head and stretching in a bit of an awkward position before removing the covers off of his body and getting off his bed. He went to his bathroom and brushed his teeth, looking at himself in the mirror. He looked more drained then usual, almost as pale as a ghost, or a piece of paper. He found this a slight bit odd but he decided to continue to brush his teeth, the fibers and bristles of the toothbrush cleaning the corners and hard to reach areas of his teeth and gums, and the minty taste waking him up. He spit out the paste and cleaned out his mouth with water, walking back to his wardrobe and changing into his usual black shirt and red hoodie with jeans like usual. Nothing had changed.

He still felt just as empty as usual. Nothing. The bright fire that had once been aflame brightly inside of his was now only a few embers, desperately waiting to be relit by someone willing to help him.

He opened the door and the smell of pancakes and bacon immediately wafted throughout the room. Edd was downstairs flipping a pancake. He saw Matt already downstairs, admiring himself in the mirror. He couldn't believe how it was even possible for someone to be so narcissistic that they would always carry a mirror with them wherever they went, and someone else like Tord would agree. Tord's self hate immensely grew as his life went on, the desire to feel how death felt growing more passionately inside of him every day.

The past is still the past. Just the same.

Meanwhile Tom forgot about his mental alarm because of all the stress build up in his mind. He usually woke up at 6:00 in the morning, but it was around 8:54. He already expected Matt and Tord to be downstairs, so he quickly threw on his cloths and went to his bathroom, putting a piece of mint gum in his mouth and chewing it for a couple minutes before it lost its flavor. He spit it out and went downstairs as Edd smiled at him and put a plate in front of him with two pancakes and three slices of bacon on it.

"So, did you guys sleep well?" Edd asked, as Matt furiously nodded and grinned widely.

"Of course I slept well! I'm perfect in every way, aren't I?" Matt exclaimed, pulling another mirror out of his right sleeve and admiring himself in both mirrors, changing the perspective of how he saw himself every second. Tom groaned and poked his food with his fork, eating nibbles of it every once in a while. Tord was chewing on the side of his bacon, looking at the wall instead of paying attention to Matt's story.

"How was your sleep?" Tom asked Tord, snapping Tord out of his trance. Tord looked back at Tom with a slightly annoyed gesture plastered onto his face.

"Why?" Tord asked, putting his fork down on his plate. Edd and Matt were having a conversation about something unrelated to them at the moment. Tom sighed.

"I dunno, it's better then listening to Matt being a complete narcissist for 24 hours straight, right?" Tom asked, copying Tord's actions and resting his fork on the edge of his plate as well. Tord sarcastically chuckled and gave a small grin to Tom. Tom felt pleased with himself. Making Tord happy was all he needed to feel better.

"Sometimes I don't even know if Matt has an IQ above 20." Tom remarked, watching Matt run off into the living room and start singing into his mirror with Edd laughing and chasing after him. It was only Tom and Tord in the kitchen at the table, still eating.

"Sometimes I don't know if that imbecile has an IQ." Tord said back, which made Tom snort. Tord laughed back as they both laughed for a couple seconds before sighing in satisfaction.

"I missed this..." Tom muttered to himself, looking away from Tord's gaze at him. A shiver went down his spine as he remembered things from the past. He sometimes wondered what would have happened if Tom and Tord stayed friends in high school. Maybe they would have completely avoided this, and would be watching The Cats together in Tom's room, and a few episodes of The Children. It was both of their favorite shows. They both shared a lot of common interests that Tom hadn't realized before.

"What did you say?" Tord asked, looking at Tom who had spaced out while staring at the floor. Tom looked back up, and sighed.

"I missed talking to each other like this." He said more clearly, as Tord smiled.

"We didn't have to stop, you know." Tord said back to him. Tom nodded, resting his chin on his palm to hold his head up. He wanted both of them to have a stronger bond than Edd and Matt. Things would be so much easier if they got along as good as they did in their first year of High school.

"Why don't we just continue then..." Tom muttered.

"We can. Let's start over."

The day went by quicker. Tom and Tord were able to bond a bit, and Tom decided it was a good day for him. He had gotten closer to Tord, and didn't see him crying and breaking down like last time. Things were better this time around, and Tom was willing to keep it that way. He got up from his bed and picked up the red pen from his desk, writing on the day March 25th on the calendar:

Day two: Successful

[??? POV]

Dark

Dark

Even darker

Things that I have known he had not shown before

This is showing a new light

Turning to a new being

Had he reformed, I do not know

I'm trying to see

Yet my eyes are half open

And my skin is as white as paper