Ch. 14

The thoughts yet again spread into Tom's head, eating away at his patience and self esteem. Headaches flooded him every day followed by nausea and vomiting. He didn't even know why anymore; he just knew it had something to do with that dreaded demon trying to destroy his life. His and Tord's life.

It wasn't only his game anymore. He knew that now. The only reason Tom continued playing was for Tord, even though he was just a puppet on strings, waiting for his next order to come into his life and crumble everything that he had completed back down to nothing yet again; all of his progress in the sick and twisted game he had subjected himself to being taken away in front of his very eyes. Everything was a train wreck.

For once Tom felt like he had no more words left to say. Everything he had done felt wasted to him. Up until this point, he felt accomplished and ready to continue his battle, until the thought that the game wasn't going to end dawned upon him. The other thought was how Tord was never really his in the first place. Tord was not just an object he won, but a real human being with a real life. Playing sick and twisted ya,es for self pleasure and a prize at the end was what he thought was the outcome of the terror he subjected himself to. He had no idea of how much pain; of how much suffering; of how much fear he would actually go through. He could only wait until the clock stopped ticking.

All he could do was wait in his bedroom for the time to end. The game he was playing to be over. It was like he was the puppeteer and the puppet at the same time; playing his own game but loosing. It was a horrible feeling to say the least. Countless hours of failed sleep didn't do Tom any good as he would stay awake for many hours contemplating what was his next move and how he would do it, his mind driving him to the brink of insanity, slowly chipping away at every sane thought that he had left inside of his head that was slowly becoming virtually empty.

For the first time in a very long time, he actually felt hopeless.

He felt incomplete and unfinished. Tom had no real motive in the stupid little game he was playing and he was starting to feel like it was just a dream. Maybe it was his heads way of coping with the depression he suffered from. Maybe it was him just hallucinating for hours on end, pretending that the game was real just so that he could see the one person he loved one more time.

It was worthless.

He wished he had just said no.

He didn't want to play the stupid game anymore, and he didn't want to be controlled like a puppet every single working day of his miserable life. All he could do was watch everyone else enjoying themselves while he suffered and sat in his bedroom, withering away slowly as the timer ticked slowly.

He felt so guilty that he didn't want to play the game anymore. The only reason that he did join was because of Tord. The pain and anguish that Tom thought about made him feel no better than a dead clam rotting by the sea shore, people looking at it and letting it sit there, eroding away slowly from the salt content of the salt water.

All he needed was-

There was a sudden set of knocks at Tom's door. A set of three knocks echoes through Tom's room, sounding somehow incomplete. Tom jolted up for a second, but sighed and quietly asked, "Who's there?" There was no actual response; only another set of knocks at the door, the emptiness traveling through the room once again. It sounded somehow eerie and inhuman like. A shiver ran up Tom's spine as he approached closer to the door.

The moment he pressed his ear to the door, three more knocks were sounded at the door, making him stumble back out of shock. He immediately felt unsafe; when he pressed his ear to the door, the knocks didn't give off a vibration through the door which should have happened if a human was knocking.

Insecurity flooded through his body. "Who is there?" Tom repeated louder, half expecting an actual answer that time. There was none; only piercing silence that stabbed through Tom's insecurities.

He had no other options.

He couldn't be scared anymore.

He was about to put his hand on the door handle, but the door unlocked by itself.

The only key was in his room.

He backed up to the wall out of fear.

The door slowly opened...