9. man's best friend

"Hey Keith." Adams voice droned on, and despite his usual lazy smile and hands stuffed in his pockets, something seemed off. 

Keith could see time was catching up to Adam, he was clearly exhausted and his age really showed. He was probably Shiro's age now right? 

"Hi." Keith said. He couldn't help but smile, he had really missed Adam- his dad jokes and sloppy paperwork,  his annoyingly perfect hair that he put all his time into. "It's been a while." 

"Heh, has it?" Adams eyes wrinkled as he smiled. "Come here." And Keith couldn't help himself, he fell into his arms. 

"You doing okay kid?" Adam asked, with a rough pat on Keith's back. 

Keith popped his collar. "What do you think?" 

Adam smirked. "You seem to be doing good with Lance! Alfor showed me the portfolio, I'm proud of you." 

Ahhh, there was the fatherly vibe again. Gosh, if Adam met Shiro, Keith would be doomed. 

"Yeah, well he's a pain. I'm just trying to get a new gig by the end of the season." Keith said, as he let his head fall to the side. 

Adam nodded. "That's the Keith I know." He sighed. "Where's your determination??" 

Keith leaned against his bike, tapping his pointer against the shiny helmet. "It's there. But, I'm determined to be a great photographer, and be happy." 

He glanced at Adam. "I'm not so happy right now." 

Adam chuckled. "Something tells me you and Lance are in for a suprise." 

Keith crossed his arms. "..and that means?" 

"Oh nothing, I just got that hunch." Adam's  glasses glinted in the sun. "My wisdom." 

Keith laughed. "Wisdom? You're so old." 

Adam was about to retaliate when Keith's phone buzzed. It was a text from Pidge, demanding for him to hurry up- they needed time for a last run through with the "pups".

The show was tonight.

Keith was excited yes, but nervous. All his friends were supposed to be coming, but that also meant Lance. And Lance meant that any fuck up on Keith's end would lead to a cocky boy giving him hell about it for the rest of his existence. 

Not that Keith thought he would mess up, he was actually confident it was impossible. With Pidge, he had practiced for months, with Kosmo, he had practiced for years. He loved Kosmo and their bond wasn't going anywhere, anytime soon. 

"Crap, I gotta go get ready for the show." Keith said grabbing his helmet. He glanced at Adam. "I'll see you there right?" 

Adams hands went back to his pockets and his smile disappeared. "Actually I can't, I've got work." He frowned and shrugged his shoulder in the direction of Altea. "You know, new assignments, we got a lot of sorting.." 

He noticed Keith's disappointment and took a step closer. "I'm really sorry Keith. I know how important this is for you, and I'm sure you'll do great." 

Keith nodded. "Yeah, it's fine." 

Adam watched him. "Are you sure?" 

Keith nodded, "Yeah man, I get it, seriously I do." 

Adam smiled weakly. "Thanks man." 

Then he was gone. 

Keith didn't feel like himself as he rode through the narrow streets. The vibrations of his engine and late summer night air in his bangs couldn't wash away the dissapoitment. He understood, yeah, but a man could dream couldn't he?