41. thunderstorm

Lance's palms sweated as he used Shiro's spare key to unlock the apartment. The place was huge, like a penthouse, with modernly glamorous appliances. It was a kingdom compared to Lance's modest home.

He was tired, and the soft rain on the way here hadn't helped, but all of his friends were up too, busy working to make tonight perfect.

He headed to the kitchen with his numerous ingredients, spreading them out on the large marble island, and rummaging through the fridge. Two incomes sure did beat one.

As he finished organizing his stuff, he heard a bark, and a growl.

He turned to see Kosmo, standing at the entrance to the kitchen, teeth bared.

"Hey boy, look! It's just me, Lancey Lance." Lance said sweetly, going over to Kosmo with a hand outstretched.

Kosmo licked his hand, sniffing the aura around him suspiciously. When he deemed him as the true Lance, his whole demeanor shifted, and he nuzzled Lance's leg, before following him back to the kitchen.

"I need you to stay quiet while I'm here for the time being, ok?" Lance asked as he slipped on his apron embroidered with blue lions. " I'm making a surprise for Keith, you know it's his birthday today right! "

The dog sniffed in compliance, before going and hopping onto the large white couch in the living room. How the brothers kept that dog hair free, Lance had no idea.

He hummed along to the soft spanish music playing from his phone on the counter, swaying his hips as he cooked. A lactose free cake was hard to make, but he could bake almost as well as Hunk, so it wouldn't be too difficult to substitute a few things.

He wondered what Keith's costume would be, and on the way here had half wished it'd be laying out somewhere so he could peek.

But alas, that wish was not granted, and he continued bopping to the lyrics of his music as he mixed the ingredients in a bowl.

He had decided to go with a simplistic cake- a light dairy free vanilla cake, with a strawberry and blueberry compote, and dairy free whipped cream for the icing.

He topped it all off with some more of the red and blue fruit, reveling in his work, before he started cleaning, tossing a strawberry slice to Kosmo, who was swaying his tail to the music.

"What...the fuck?"

It was Keith, dressed in red calvin kleins and a baggy twenty one pilots shirt, with an award winning bedhead.

His violet eyes locked onto the view of Lance in his kitchen, in his house.

Hips swaying, spanish words flowing in a silky tone, like the sea, from his baby pink lips, with honey freckles, a sunshine smile, and luscious brown curls he wanted to run his fingers through. So bad. 

In his kitchen.

In his house.

To put it simply, his heart stopped.

"Ah- Keith!" Lance said, turning on his heel in surprise. " You're up! " He grinned nervously.

"I am." He said, stepping closer in his bare feet. " What are you doing in my house? "

"Well-" Lance crossed his arms in the blue cotton sweater that matched his eyes. " I was making you breakfast. For your birthday. "

Keith rubbed his dry lips, stifling a yawn. "Thank you..?"

" Don't mention it. I made you cake! " Lance said, turning his attention to the reason he was here.

"Oh?" Keith took a seat at the island, placing his face on the cold porcelain. His cheeks were hot. Really, really hot.