27. red handed

Matt nervously waited for Lena to escort him to his new desk. His first day at the Garrison, had finally arrived. His chance to be the best engineer they had ever laid eyes on, began now.

He was jittery, and his eyes watered from the hefty amount of cologne he had put on. Shiro had bought it for him a year ago, and the bottle was still full.

Matt wiped his sweaty hands on his gray slacks. Maybe the suit and tie was a bit much...

He heard the already familiar soft clicking of Lena's heels coming down the hall of the Garrison's first floor main office. He looked up. Tried for a smile.

"Hi, Matt." She smiled warmly. " Nice to see you again. " she shook his hand eagerly. "Nervous?"

Matt gulped, squeezing her hand a little too tight. "Yeah. I am."

She laughed. "That's good. Nerves mean you're excited." She said with a wink before turning on her heel and strutting back towards the elevator.

Really now. Matt thought to himself as he followed after her, hands stuffed into his pockets.

They rode the glass encased elevator up to the fourth floor of the building, giving them full visual access to the multitude of offices and meeting rooms throughout. Labs and software rooms were scattered around on the third floor.

"When will I be able to travel to other bases at the Garrison?" Matt asked as the elevator stopped at his floor. He liked the main hub sure, the tech and software here was incredible. But the lure of adventure and odysseys, that the rest of the aerospace centre beheld, took his breathe away.

"Not sure." Lena said, holding her clipboard tighter to her chest and winding through cubicles filled with busy men and women typing away furiously. "Takes a few years for most to get recruited."

Matt followed, frowning. "Oh. Years."

" Mhm. " she said, passing the coffee machine at the west end of the floor. "Heh, what I would give for a hot cup of joe..." She said, yawning.

Matt chuckled and followed her down a hall, and into an office at the end. The desk was already set up with a laptop and work.

Lena picked up a manila folder, before handing it to him. "Your first assignment. Garrison protocol." She walked past him. " Look it over, study it, know it. " and with that she was gone.

...

The day seemed to fly by, and Matt wished he could visit Shiro. He had no idea where his friend was stationed, nor if he even did his aerospace work at the hub. Matt wondered if Shiro worked at one of the bases on the Garrison's elaborate campus.

He wanted to learn as much as he could here, about the engineering projects the Garrison does, and how it impacts aerospace and technological advancements. But at the same time, he wished he was already beyond, flying airplanes and spaceships for the Garrison.

He wanted to fly.

He wanted to go to space.

But right now, he realized, he needed to read Lena's protocol. If he wanted to keep his job that is.

...

He deemed one fourth of the protocol being memorized as valid, and rushed out of his office at 4 p.m. He was giddy, and impatient.

It was finally time to stop Pidge from this madness. Matt was nervous as to whether this would work or not, and what would happen if it went bad, but he tried not to think of it.

Pidge hated being snuck up on.

And she hated people touching her things even more.

Matt took a nap in Pidge's dormitory lobby, before Keith arrived and shrugged him awake. He looked disheveled and annoyed.