38. greek god

"Come on, tell me there's more in stock. That's insane!" Lance pleaded, drooping over the store clerk's counter with mad theatrics and hands clasped.

The man shrugged. "Dude, it's not my problem. Makeup glitter is really popular this year? Especially this season." His skeleton themed earrings rattled.

" Tskkkk, seriously?? " Lance sighed dramatically. "I-" he grasped for his pockets. " What do you want, a bribe?" He started shoving money onto the counter. "Twenty? Thirty? Heh-"

The clerk glanced around the store at other concerned customers in awkward dread. "Uh, sir please- I'm telling you it's not here."

Lance pouted. "But- all the other stores are out too, and I really, really, want it. Please-"

The clerk shook his head. "Look man, I'm really tired. And really hungry. And you're making me annoyed, so I would enjoy it if you left quietly."

Lance turned pale.

"Now."

Lance sighed. "Whatever." He slumped off, under the heavy eye of disapproving customers.

Why was he so desperate for some glitter, you may ask? Sure, he could be dramatic sometimes, but this was definitely a stretch, even for him. 

It was Keith. All Keith's fault. Yeah.

Neither of them, (or Coran), had told the others what their Halloween costumes would be this year, for Keith's party.

And of course, around Keith, all of a sudden, Lance couldn't keep his mind on track. He blabbered. Got sidetracked. 

Keith wouldn't tell him what he would go as. No matter how much Lance begged.

So Lance changed tactics. High school rivalry, childish anctics, type tactic.

A competition. Of course.

Lance knew he had a way better costume in mind, he just didn't have it yet.

So he laid it on thick, declaring to Keith his costume was superior, and would put whatever Keith was going to slap together at the last minute to shame.

Keith, despite his holier than thou attitude that could care less about anyone else's claim, had to step up to the challenge. It was Lance.

So here Lance was, tripping over himself up the escalator of the mall, trying to find the finishing touch to his costume.

He needed it to be perfect, he wanted to beat Keith so bad. And he knew it was childish, a fucking costume battle. He hadn't rivaled Keith like this in years.

So why was he so fired up? 

Something told him it wasn't his competitiveness burning in his stomach, but something more... complicated.

The urge to be around Keith. He wanted the attention. He craved it. Keith's eyes on him.

No-

No, he just wanted to win. Yeah, that was it. He would be the most breathtaking greek god to grace this earth, and Keith would drool over him. 

The thought sent him tumbling down the escalator, the wrong step sending him flying. Eyes glazed over him, shrugging off the most likely intoxicated teen. He took out a few people before coming to a stop halfway down the escalator.

To be fair, he was intoxicated. But in a different way. And he hated feeling like this.

He also...loved it?