16. san fransisco

The past week had been difficult. For Keith at least. After seeing Lance on Monday and having the complete internal meltdown that he had had over Lance's outfit made him rethink his life choices.

Keith had always been the chill one except for when it came to Lance or another cocky, arrogant, annoying as hell person in his life. Like that kid James back in middle school. See when someone like that messed with Keith, he became the hotheaded impulsive daredevil that usually got sent to the principal, or nearly arrested. Or both.

Now, with the other potential way he could act with Lance he could either ruin their friendship or.... Ruin their friendship. And though their relationship now was strictly business related or rivalry, he enjoyed it more than he could imagine the icky and awkward formality if Lance knew what Keith was feeling. In a sense, Keith felt like Matt- though him and Lance had never really been on good standing grounds. And what did Keith not want Lance to know anyways? Keith wouldn't admit it was a crush.

Infatuation. Yes Keith dubbed it as that, strictly that. A feeling that arose only because of Lance's good looks. He would give him that. He had absolutely no tolerance for Lance's personality so infatuation seemed the best fit for what he was temporarily feeling. Yes, temporarily. Keith told himself a week. He'd give himself one week and then he'd be over it.

Totally over it.

So the week had passed with Keith simply being rude to Lance. It was easier, and the best way for him to ignore Lance's...eyes, hair, smile, smell...it was all too much. But if he just continued that "rilvary" that Lance himself had started, it was a little easier. He got a little more upset, felt a little more like himself.

He did feel bad though, because Lance continued to be happy and excited for shoots and was trying to be more cooperative. He was on time at least two days of the week and when Keith was rude, he usually just ignored it. It made Keith feel bittersweet. It was cute, the fact that Lance was doing what Keith had told him to the week prior. But now that Keith was treating him so bad, it made him feel worse. But he had to, for the both of them.

In Lance's attempt to be nicer to Keith, he had kept his promise to take Keith and Kosmo to Rachel's on the day of the water park trip. And Keith was very very scared. And there were three main reasons.

First of all, Keith had to wear a bathing suit in public. And despite his friends reassurances, and Lance's questionable but kind words, Keith was still overly insecure. He was not ready to go out with no shirt on, in his baggy red swim trunks. He hadn't been swimming in what...a year...two? Yeah, scary.

The last two reasons had to do with Lance. Seeing Lance in a swimsuit most likely wouldn't help with Keith's infatuation, no matter how rude he was to him. And spending an hour in a car with Lance alone made him uncomfortable too. Even if Kosmo was there. So when he woke up on Sunday, he wasn't really excited.

He woke to Romelle and Coran spamming the group chat with the meeting points and directions and times. In a five minute period, at least 100 messages were added. And then there was Lance's text.

8:28 a.m
loverboy: are you ready to go?
loverboy: I'm outside you and shiros place

Keith had definitely underestimated Lance's precision with timing because no. He was not ready. He subconsciously left Lance on read before he started to get ready.

Keith wandered around his apartment to notice Shiro was already gone, probably heading to Romelle's apartment to meet the others since it was already 8:30 a.m. Then he went to find his swim trunks.

He should have done this the night before because it took him ten minutes just to find his bathing suit. Hidden at the back of his bottom drawer. Once he had his trunks, goggles, towel and any other items he might need, he threw on some clothes and his shoes. Lance beeped from his truck, and Keith rolled his eyes.