35. air show

"Sooo, how did you know?" Shiro asked, glancing at his handsome driver with a lazy expression.

The two were in Adam's camero, speeding down I-5, to Huntington beach, Cali. Six hours into the road trip, Shiro's shoes were off, the man sitting in an effortless criss cross applesauce in the passenger seat, Aerosmith blaring from Adam's speakers.

Adam smirked, his glasses automatically shaded. "You're a frickin Garrison commander right? How could I not know?" 

Shiro blushed. "Not everyone notices such details."

" Guess you'll need to get used to it, then. " He said smoothly. "Besides, this wasn't all for you. I've always wanted to go."

" We're perfect for each other, then. "

Adam laughed. "What have I been saying?"

They were on their way to the annual Great Pacific air show, Adam's golden hued idea of a first date. He promised thousands of enticing aircrafts to blur the boring ass 6 and a half hour drive from Fairfield.  

"Kinda wish I didn't have to wake up so early," Adam groaned. " I'm not a morning person. "

Shiro smirked. "Good to know."

" You're worth it, though. " He added, pulling off the main interstate onto a windy toll road. 

Shiro chuckled under his breath, running a hand through his hair. "Adam- lay off the flirting, a little. You're causing my heart physical pain."

Adam smiled. "Sure... but that was my flirting toned down. Wait till we get back to Fairfield, Takashi." He glanced at Shiro, trying to contain his laugh at however Shiro would react.

Shiro's prosthetic arm covered his beet red face, his eyes stuck on the blurring white lines of the highway. "Mmm, 'kay" he muttered quietly. 

"Hah-" Adam said, "You're hopeless."

"Only for you."

...

Noon rolled around with the incoming commotion of the air base.  It took the couple fifteen minutes to find a parking spot amongst the thousands of cars. Loud blaring music from stands drowned out Adam's, intercoms overhead blaring raffle winners and times, along with upcoming events. It was hotter in Huntington, the beach a few miles from the base. Little kids with mini models of planes and space crafts ran by Shiro and Adam as they started for the main gate, foldable chairs and coke packs in tow.

"Can't believe alcohol isn't allowed." Adam muttered as they came to the billing station at the gate. " What's wrong with a few beers? "

Shiro chuckled. "It's not allowed, that's what's wrong."

Adam glared at him playfully, handing the money manager their dues. "A few cans never hurt nobody." Then he squinted at Shiro through his sunglasses. " Though, I feel like you're a lightweight. "

Shiro laughed, hiking the chairs over his shoulders a little higher with ease. "Shh, don't tell anyone."

Stands and venues full of fried food and chilled lemonade lined the immense base, along with souvenir tents, and firework mini markets. Families and couples alike sat on blankets and in foldable chairs or tents. Pop music or rock and roll intermingled over the intercoms, loud with slight static.

Then there were the crafts. Jets and planes, ranging between combat crafts and leisure. One was only three feet long, barely big enough to fit the pilot, while there were jets that loomed over seventy feet, and reached a length of 117+ meters.