Redo (1)

She opened her eyes and found herself in an unfamiliar place. She thought that this was heaven, but then she saw herself being reduced to a baby. She changed her mind. It seemed like she was being reincarnated, something that she didn't know whether to be grateful or not.

She didn't understand why she still retained the memory from her previous life. Surely, the gods weren't that cruel to make her carried those memories, right? But then again, why would she still remember clearly what her name was and what had happened?

However, when she got a chance to see the outside world, she suddenly got a few suspicions, her instinct told her that she was being thrown back to the past. It was a crazy assumption, but she couldn't deny the fact that the surrounding was too similar to her previous life. It was all confirmed when she met her father, again.

When she met him again, who was still healthy and in one piece, she could not help but broke down, crying her heart out. Because the last time she saw her father was when she had that argument about Soo-Won, and the last time she saw her father's body, he was already not breathing anymore. 

Right now, she was nothing but just a baby, she could not tell him how much she loves him, how much she had missed him.

That was also when she realized, that indeed, she had been thrown back to the past. She found out that everything was exactly the same; from her the castle gate to the garden inside, even the flowers in it. 

How could that happen, she has no idea. 

She didn't know whether to be grateful or to be depressed by this, but at the very least, she got another chance to redo all of her mistakes; as a child, as a princess, as a friend... she vowed to correct all of them.

She saw Joo-Doh. 

He was still the same. It seems that no matter how old, his face would always be accompanied by scowls. It was really weird, how could he manage to scowl despite whatever the situation was good or bad? 

She didn't exactly have a good opinion about him, for he has betrayed her and her father, but regardless of anything that had happened before, she must try to at least stay neutral with him. If not, it would only raise a lot of unwanted questions later.

This time around, she decided not to maintain her old personalities. Even if she wanted to, she could not anymore, not with the war experience that she got and the experience of losing precious comrades, friends, loved ones... 

This time, there wouldn't be a happy bright Yona anymore... This time, there would only a calm, strong and collected Yona. She could try to not be so cold, but smiling or even laughing might need a whole lot of work and time.

She chose to maintain her short hair as short as boys' hair so that it wouldn't get in her way. It gave her a sense of calmness, as it was the only physical way of telling her that she still had her unfinished duty. 

Starting two years old, every time her hair had grown a few centimeters, she would ask her parents to cut it again. But they always refused, and after a few attempts, the shortest hair that they agreed to was until her ears. 

'Well, there is another chance when she grows older, though...' she thought.

She also chose to wear a normal civilians' boy's clothes, saying that they were more comfortable for her, much to her parents' dismay. They had tried to force her to wear high-quality dresses, but she always refused and always found a way to change back to the boy's clothes.

Finally, both of her parents agreed to her wearing boy's clothes but with a condition that those clothes she wore need to show her status as someone from a royal lineage. She reluctantly agreed, but she never failed to reject any clothes that were too glamorous for her taste.

It was by pure chance that her father thought of simple clothes like civilians' but using silk as the differentiation. She loved the idea since both parties would get what they wanted. Since then, she always wore clothes like that and acts tomboyish; climbing here and there, running and sneaking into places, and so on.

A lot of people didn't like her attitudes, saying that even though she was not a princess, she still was a royal. Thus, she needed to act like one. But some people, especially servants, thought that Yona was really a humble child as she didn't act all cocky and arrogant with what her status could offer. 

In fact, Yona always helped her servant in any way she could, be it cooking or even washing dishes, or something else.

Of course, the servants were afraid that they would get mad at by Yona's parents, however, when dealing with a stubborn Yona, it seemed like getting blood out of rocks was even easier than making Yona listened to them. 

So, they all stopped caring about the consequences after a few weeks. Although her parents didn't happy about it, they also didn't do anything at all, especially when they saw Yona had that shining eyes whenever she learned to do something new.

Little did they know, the reason why Yona did that all was because that was the easiest way for her to obtain information regarding her kingdom. 

Servants tend to complain a lot about their problem, while soldiers tend to complain all about the military part. By mingle inside the lower status of people, she could get so much information without the need to sneak out from the castle. 

She knew that one day, she would need to see it with her own eyes, but right now, she couldn't do that.

Starting two years old, she also started to force herself to read a lot of books, to get as much knowledge about her kingdom and its inside, even if it is boring as hell. She read all kinds of book, from fairy tale to history, all kinds of general knowledge, even books about medicine.

Of course, she tried to look like a normal child which happened to love books, not reading; because really, what kind of two years old child knows how to read complicated books? Even reading simple books like children books was also impossible for someone who was only two years old. That's why she chose books which had a lot of pictures.

Sometimes she also pretended to draw doodles in the books if the books only have words inside. That doodles actually was her notes, but because her muscle was not strong enough, her handwriting looked like doodles.

People inside the castle never saw her without at least a book, and when reading she never stayed inside her room. She either climbed up the tree, which always gave the servants a heart attack or lying down in the garden with her books.

Seeing her interest in books, her father never commented or asked about it, even if Yona took those books out of the library and never put it back. All the books that she already took would be taken straight to her bedroom. Sometimes if her father needed them, he wouldn't search the library first, but instead, he would ask Yona whether she had taken those or not since Yona's bedroom could already be considered as a mini-library.

To be continued