Throne Arc (I)

A day, a week, a month... Spring, summer, autumn, winter. Season changes, time flies. In the blink of an eye, another spring came once again. The white blanket melted away, the evergreens and spruces scented the air with their new growth; the little streams rushed hither and thither birds sang and built everywhere. Children were out for wildflowers and raced around like deer.

The city was full of life. It was the celebration of the coming spring. Music filled the air, festive beats lifted the spirits and made the people want to move, jump and sing. Food sellers weaved through the mass of onlookers and the aroma of their wares perfumed the air. Everybody is full of smiles and laughter.

The Hiryuu Castle, however, was not.

Contrary to the buzzing city, it was deadly silent. No music, no dancing, no laughter. The air was cold and the atmosphere was tense. Even if snow has melted and spring has come, it didn't feel any warmer than winter. People talked in a hushed voice as if it's a sin to make noise.

Hak laid on the rooftop with his hands under his head. His eyes that gazing at the drifting cloud looked unfocused.

It has been a year. A year of gloomy days, a year of coldness, a year without her around.

It was suffocating for him to see her lying quietly on the bed. Especially when he saw her fully bandaged body, it felt as if his heart was pierced and ripped out. He didn't understand why he could feel this way over someone that he barely knew.

Yes, barely.

He couldn't say that he knows her well, not when she closed herself off of others. His knowledge of her was all based on his dreams, but the dreams and reality keep contradicted each other. How can he be certain that whatever he dreamed was true or not? Never mind the course of events, even her personalities are different as night and day. He had started to question whether his dreams could be trusted or not.

The only reason he still held onto his dreams is that the others' personalities matched with the real person, everyone except hers. Not to mention, the dreams felt too real that it's downright frightening. He doesn't want to admit it, but he would rather believe in his dreams and do his utmost to change reality than to have them happened in real life.

And he is still trying to, even when he knew reality has been different than that of his dreams. Especially when the assassination happened.

He had never anticipated this one. Neither had he anticipated that Yona would be beaten like this.

He could say that her still being alive is already a great bonus, but no matter how he tried to reason with himself, he still found his heart clenched every time he visits her. It's like his life was squeezed out from him, leaving his corpse dried without any remaining soul.

What does he know about her? Nothing.

What has she ever given to him? Nothing.

What is he to her? Nothing.

And what is she to him? ...Everything.

He let a bitter smile blossomed on his face. When did she start to become so important to him? How can she roam inside his heart like this when she has done nothing at all? Why did he get so angry when he looked at her battered body?

And more importantly...

Does he like the real-Yona... or is he actually trying to find the dream-Yona inside the real-Yona?

To this day, He still has no answer.

But he knew that sorting out his feeling comes first before anything else. Before she woke up, he needed to clear out his head out of confusion. If it's the former, then it's okay. But if it's the latter? Wouldn't it felt like an insult for her?

He had a high belief that she would wake up one day; it's just a matter of time. It doesn't matter why and how this belief comes from. He just knew that his heart has never given up on that glimmer of hope.

Inside the silent room, there's a small body lying still on the bed. If not for the small movement of its chest, people would think that it's a corpse.

That's where Yona is. On a bed with both of her eyes closed, in a deep slumber.

Her skin has gone pale from the lack of sunshine. Her hair has grown longer that looks like a proper princess now. She has grown a little bit taller than last year, although it's so insignificant compared to normal living kids. She also has grown thinner because of the lack of solid food over the year.

Royal physicians have tried their best to keep her body in the best condition even in comatose. They help exercising her muscles to avoid muscle atrophy and feed her sufficient nutrients to keep her body in good shape. All her injuries had healed quite nicely, although she would forever bore the scars from the assault.

Soo-Won was sitting on the side of the bed while looking at her body. He has a complicated gaze, it looks cloudy in confusion.

This whole year, he has been having countless strange dreams and nightmares. It left him so confused and restless. It gave him a headache, added that he had no one to consult over this matter.

Hak has been giving him that probing stare, but Soo-Won keeps his silence. Not because he doesn't trust Hak, but because he himself still hasn't made head or tails over this matter. He would only spill the beans if it's necessary, but right now it isn't. Especially when Yona is still in a deep slumber.

He has a lot of questions and his guts told him that he can only find them out from Yona. So right now, he can only wait till the day she wakes up again.

"Yona, when will you wake up?"

-Creak-

His musing was broken from the sound of the opened door. He turned his head to see Hak strolled in.

"Hey." Soo-Won greeted him.

Hak waved his hand as he walked to the bed's side and take a seat on the bed. He gave Yona's body a glance before looking at Soo-Won again.

"I heard Prince Yu-Hon is searching for you."

Soo-Won blinked.

"Father is?"

Hak nodded but said nothing else.

Soo-Won's gaze becomes heavy. Something has changed with his father, he doesn't know what but it's weighing on his mind. It's a subtle change, but it can't be hidden from someone like Soo-Won who has an excellent eye and mind. 

He doesn't want to start doubting his own father for anything, but he has a suspicion that the father has something to do with the assassination. He has tried to investigate on his own, but he hasn't run across anything. He would save that little suspicion to himself until he found something to proof or disproof it.

His change of look didn't go unnoticed by Hak. Hak has his own suspicion of the first imperial prince. If even he can get suspicious, there is no doubt that Soo-Won had to get suspicious too. He has been waiting to see if Soo-Won will eventually spill the beans, or will he keep silent over the matter. 

He still can't wholly trust Soo-Won, no doubt his dream has been the huge reason for it. But he'd rather be safe than sorry.

Hak's distrust, of course, has been noticed by Soo-Won. It's just that he got the reason for distrust wrong. He thought Hak's distrust come from the fact that he is his father's son. This left him frustrated and makes him bitter. He got even more heavy-hearted whenever the "Yu-Hon" name come out in the middle of their talk. But he can do nothing on it.

He looked at Hak and smiled a little. "Alright, I'll go find father now." He said while getting up from the chair.

Again, Hak only nodded. He watched Soo-Won walked out from the room with narrowed eyes.

'You had better not be having the thought of betraying us, Soo-Won. Otherwise, I won't ever forgive you.'

To be Continued