Assassination Arc (XXI)

Geun-Tae stood in the corner of the King's study room. His serious expression contradicted with his usual laid-back attitude. He heard a soft footstep coming inside the room. He glanced up and saw Mundok stepping inside.

"You have come back, General Mundok." He said.

A flicker of recognition flashed inside Mundok's eyes. "Yes. It was fortunate for Yona-sama to even be alive at this moment." Mundok said.

Geun-Tae narrowed his eyes. "Is it that bad?" his voice was low and deep as if suppressing a great emotion inside.

Mundok stared at him intensely. "According to the head physician, she had severe blood loss. She got a lot of cut on her body as well; some of it is pretty deep. If she was a little older, those would not pose as a danger..." concern was laced inside his voice.

Geun-Tae let out a heavy sigh. "She is still a child, cuts like those are life-threatening, is what you want to say, isn't it?" he asked which earned a nod from Mundok.

"Yes. She also got bruised on her body, but thankfully, there is no fracture bone." Frowns were visible on the old general's face.

It was then the door was opened and King Joo-Nam stepped inside. He looked at the two General inside the room before settled his gaze on Geun-Tae.

"Geun-Tae."

Geun-Tae straightened his body before bowing down. "Your Majesty."

"Took you quite long." The King remarked.

Geun-Tae looked at The King sheepishly. "Well, I need to clean a lot of mess."

The King walked passed Geun-Tae and Mundok. He took his seat on his chair before looking back at Geun-Tae again. "Report."

"When I arrived, it's already messy. I told the brat to bring Yona-sama back before dealing with the assassin. But he managed to trick me, and ran away before I killed him." Geun-Tae reported.

The King's eyebrow rose by a few millimeters while Mundok blinked his eyes rapidly. "You got tricked?" Mundok asked.

"He is... quite cunning, so to speak." there is a hint of annoyance in Geun-Tae's voice.

The King sighed. "Anything that you get from him?" he asked again.

"Nothing. Except for the fact that there are two assassins, one of them was killed by Yona-sama." Geun-Tae answered, avoiding The King's gaze. That subtle act went unnoticed by neither The King nor Mundok. Both of narrowed his eyes, knowing full well that Geun-Tae was hiding something. But they didn't say anything and instead chose to play along with Geun-Tae.

"Yona-sama killed one of them?" Mundok asked.

"The assassin that I fought with told me that. I'm not sure whether to believe him or not, but it was quite strange for him to kill his partner too." Geun-Tae said. 

"I checked it before coming here. The dead one was bigger in size; there are cuts on its body. The one on its arm was pretty deep and long. The cause of death is probably the cut on its neck." He elaborated.

The explanations left a quite uneasy feeling inside Mundok's stomach. 

"Don't tell me, Yona-sama cut his neck to kill him?"

Geun-Tae just shrugged. "As I said, it's already messy when I arrived. I didn't witness any of the fights before."

"If what you said is true..." Mundok trailed. Geun-Tae stared at him grimly. 

"Yona-sama might not be normal." He finished.

"Enough." King Joo-Nam cut into their conversation. He stared at them sharply. 

"This talk will remain here. It should never get out of this room." He said firmly, his tone speaks of finality, telling them that he would not accept any argument. 

"Tell no one of this; speak no word of the accident. Understood?"

Both Generals knew exactly where they stood. "Yes, Your Majesty."

"You may leave."

Both Generals bowed before leaving the room, leaving the King alone.

Looking at the empty space in front, a troubled expression was replaced by the previous serious one. He let out a deep sigh and closed his eyes.

"You wanted to avoid trouble and yet, you give yourself more trouble."

***

Outside the room

Geun-Tae scowled as he walked in the hallway. "What's up with His Majesty? Isn't this disturbing?" he grunted all the way.

Mundok didn't pay him any attention. "I would shut my mouth, if I were you, General Geun-Tae."

Geun-Tae eyed him dangerously. "You are not curious?" he asked.

Using his only eye, he looked at Geun-Tae from the corner of his eye. 

"There are things that we need to know, but there are also things that are better unknown. Don't dig too deep on it; it might pose as more trouble than it's worth." He reminded Geun-Tae.

Geun-Tae looked away, the scowl was still visible. 

"Well, I get your logic there." He said, clearly annoyed, but didn't argue any further.

Both of them walked silently to each other destination.

***

I would soon engulf in to the darkness.

I closed my eyes again. I felt no need to watch whatever would happen to me. I'm falling down. Where to, I wonder. Was there any place for someone like me to exist? Was it Hell down there? Or was it Heaven?

Ah... I was falling deeper and deeper. And I stopped to care. Maybe... maybe this way was better...

Maybe dying would be less painful...

***

Since this accident happened, the King had ordered all guests to stay the night in the castle. It was to prevent any unwanted accident to occur again. That included Hak too.

It was close to midnight when Hak and Soo-Won were ordered to rest, they were forced to rest by the nurse. With no other choice, both of them reluctantly went away. Along the way, no words were exchanged, no comfort was given. It was a deathly silence. Each of them was lost in each other world, they took no notice on their surroundings.

Even when they parted ways to each other respective rooms, it was still silent.

***

To Be Continued