Colorful Compromise

Thomas.

He's standing right outside your door.

In....America?

Thomas smiles nervously, "Surprise?"

My gosh. His voice. It doesn't sound....like it does on Skype or the phone.

You step forward in a trance and gentely grab his arm, to make sure he's real. He stays still as you squeeze his arm. It feels real. Sturdy. Strong. As usual.

You open your mouth to speak, but instead of uttering any words you find yourself flying forward, your arms wrapping around his neck, and your lips connect.

You feel the passion running through your veins. It's not a dirty passion. It's a caring, I've missed you kind of passion, that seems to make up for the past month he's been missing.

You hear him grunt, but you refuse to open your eyes or let go, for fear that he'll be gone when you open them or that he'll disappear if you let go.

When he pulls away, he only has a seconds hesitation before he plunges into speach, "You know, I had this well-thought long speach I was going to give you, but now I've totally forgotten it."

You laugh and give him a quick kiss, "What are you doing here?"

He shrugs and looks at his feet nervously, "I missed you.... You still got that spare room available?"

You grin, "Of course."

- - - -

You finish making the bed in your spare room. You never keep the bed made in there. It's more like a storage room. You keep your old wooden desk from high school in there. In the desk are old letters and picture. A couple yearbooks. On the scratched surface is a lamp and a picture of you and your sister when you were little. On the wall are old paintings your Dad did and drawings you did. There's a bedside table that was your grandmothers. And a lamp that was your aunts. A small closet stores a box of your old baby/childhood clothing. It's a little empty but it smells old. Like home. You don't go in there much. This room is kind of depressing.

Thomas leans against the doorway for the room. He offered to help, but you refused. He's your guest.

He's scanning the room when he spots the picture on your desk. He wanders over and picks it up, "Is this you?"

You glance over at him, "Yeah. Me and my sister."

"Is your sister.... bleeding?" He asks slowly.

"No. But she does have a scrape on her chin. She tried to climb a tree and fell. Scratched her up pretty bad. She still has a little scar on her chin." You grin.

He hums and studies the picture further, "You were a cute kid."

You smirk, "Yeah. I know."

He chuckles and sets the picture down, "And so bloody humble."

" I was born that way. You know? Cute and humble." You say, finishing the bedding, "There. All done...."

"Great." Thomas says, walking over to you and wrapping his arms around you, "Thanks for letting me crash here."

"No problem." You mutter, "How long are you staying?"

He blinks, "I've no idea."

You smile softly and look up at him, "I guess we'll figure it out in the morning."

Thomas nods, "In the morning."

You squeeze his hand before you step out of the room, "Sleep well."