Labor Day

(Nineth grade)

You groan a you pull the sheets off your head. Sunlight blinds your eyes as it shoots in through the screen window. You half grunt half gasp as you jerk your head away from the ray of light.

Much better.

You sit up and look out the window directly to your right. About one forth of a mile away from your cabin, you can see the lake sparkling. The hill leading down has a stone pathway carved into it. The water is really amazing. So clear and pretty. There are rocks not too far away that are fun to jump into the water from. They're not as fun as the cliffs, but still.

I turn and look directly in front of me. Past the porches doorway, is another bed. In it, sleeps Juliette. Her dark hair spills over the pillow. And on the bed to my right, is Sidney.

You all stayed up a little later than we should've last night. But Juliette would not go to bed and somehow she convinced Sidney to stay up with her. Of course, they were loud, so when you tried to go to sleep at about 9:30 you couldn't. So you stayed up with them. Resulting I going to bed at about 1:00 in the morning. You innerly sigh. You hate staying up that late.

But you remember Sidney's words last night, "Wake me up in the morning when you wake up."

Sidney's mottos on sleeping is - "Early to bed, late to rise, gives you enough freaking sleep to make it through the day."

You let out a breath and swing your legs out from under the covers. Your feet slide onto the porches floor. Sleeping on the porch isn't so bad. It has a screen and it's warm out here. Plus, there's a wall going up to about your waist, so when you lay down on the bed, you can't really see out the window. And you haven't found any bugs in here ever. And you like sharing a room with Juliette and Sidney at the cabin. Needless to say, you like your bed on the porch.

You lean over and prod Sidney's shoulder. She she doesn't stir, you quietly whisper, "Sidney. Pst. Fat head. Wake up."

She grunts and shuffles around under the covers. You lightly smack the side of her head. Her eyes snap open and she props up on one elbow quickly.

That did the job.

"Hey." You say, "You told me to wake you up."

She blinks a few times, still coming into focus when she spots you, "Yeah, I did. What time is it?"

You peer out of the glass sliding doors that connects into the living area of the cabin.

"7:00." You whisper.

She looks at you wide eyed, "7:00!? Oh, my gosh! Iris! It's too early. Six hours of sleep!"

You shrug, "Well, i'm hungry. And i'm not going back to sleep. The sun is up and shining in my face."

Sidney gestures to her pillow, "That's what pillows are for."

"You dont have to get up. But I am." You say, heading towards the glass door.

Sidney quietly groans, "Fine."

She slides out of bed, "Should we wake Juliette?"

You look over at your sister, "No. She'd kill us."

You quietly slide the glass door open, looking back at Juli. Even quietly sliding it open is loud enough to make Juliette stir and peek through her sleepy vision. You share a worried look with Sidney and quickly slip through the door and into the living area.

To your annoyance, you find Uncle Sanders sleeping on one of the couches. You share an exasperated look with Sidney. The two of you tip toe into the kitchen and find the muffins your Mom bought for this morning. You snap open the package and grab two chocolate muffins for you and Sidney. The two of you shush each other as you step into the laundry room/pantry/ room where you keep the fridge. It's pretty spacious. A door leads out onto the second porch - the one that doesn't have a roof or beds on it.