Celebrate

(New Years Eve)

You sigh as you lean into Thomas. The TV light reflects on your skin. Your breaths become more even and your eyelids start to feel heavy. You close your eyes as you slowly breathe.

"Stay awake, flower." Thomas mutters in your ear.

Mark and Tasha went to bed a couple hours ago. They don't really care about the new year. They just want to sleep. Kind of similar to you.

Ava was going to stay awake, but now, she lays curled up under a blanket on the second couch. She rest peacefully, her head on a pillow, her hair flows down he sides. It makes her look sort of angelic. Or more angelic than usual.

You smile at the thought as you murmer, "Mmhmmmm."

Thomas nudges you with his shoulder, craning his neck so he can see you better, "Hey, lady. Wake up."

"Okay. Alright." You whine. You stir a little, but keep your eyes closed.

"This isn't working." Thomas thinks aloud.

"It is working. See how well it's working?" You look up at Thomas, opening your eyes for half a second before plopping your head back down.

Thomas raises his eyebrows, "I'm going to read aloud to you."

"No!" You groan, "Why can't I sleep?"

He nods, "Because we are going to kiss at midnight, weather you like it or not!"

"I need to sleep. For beauty purposes." You say, burying your face into his side.

"You're beautiful anyway." Thomas rejects, "It's only twenty minutes you can make it."

"Nope. I can't." You deny.

(SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE DEATH CURE. I'M QUOTING THE BOOK. GIVING ALL CREDITS TO JAMES DASHNER!)

He grabs the Death Cure off the table and starts reading. The two of you were reading it together. Taking turns reading it to each other. He'd never read it before. He'd found out that he dies. But not much else on the whole death matter.

He comes to the dreaded chapter and you become alert, not wanting to miss out on this part.

He reads, " 'It took him a moment to register that the Crank was his friend. Newt.'"

Thomas stops reading and looks down at you, smiling, "Hey, look! It's ME!"

Wow.

This next part is going to crush him into a million pieces.

You chuckle, darkly, "Yeah. It is. Keep reading."

He frowns as he reads on, " 'I tried to kill myself in the Maze.' He starts scanning the pages silently. He murmers words now and then, his eyebrows furrowing. The look of horror becomes more and more clear on his face as he reads on. Thomas gives off a look of great offense, "I swear if Dyaln kills me...."

He reads on, " 'KILL ME!" "Please, Tommy. Please."

"With his heart falling into a black abyss, Thomas pulled the trigger."

The real Thomas' head jerks up, "THAT IS NOT OKAY!"

You chuckle.

That is what every fangirl ever thought when reading that chapter.

Thomas hand slaps down on his phone. He picks it up and starts dialing a number.

"What are you doing?" You ask.