pins and needles

I try not to panic as I let the car engine rest and put the car in park. I know that after I step inside, I will have to turn on my adult life, not the fun, like always.

I grab my purse and cell phone and sit them in my lap. I slowly close my eyes, to hopefully get rid of the nerves and relax. I know, probably the cliche thing to do, but if rather remain calm and help the situation. As I open my eyes, I see one of the foster kids walk out onto the porch. Longer hair than I remember, her eyes bluer than the oceans could ever be, standing about to my shoulder, she has gotten older and her smile never fades, but that's just how Blake always was, even when she was first admitted into this foster home. She'd never let bad vibes ruin her day. I geuss you could say she was the pit of gold at the end of the rainbow.

I hurriedly open the door to my vehicle and climb out, purse and phone in hand, but no camera. I climb the steps to the porch and give Blake a welcoming hug. I didn't get a chance to say my hellos last night because by the time we got here, it was close to one in the morning and everyone was asleep.

I walk in the good sized house and am met with a blaring scream and cry. I walk to the kitchen, where it came from. In the kitchen, I find mom holding a small child against her hips. You could see the baby's ribs as if she's had nothing to eat in a good amount of time. Her legs kicking as my mom holds her, her arms scrunched up close to her face. Her hair was a light brown and blonde.

"What's going on?"

My mom looks at me still trying to calm the yelling baby by swaying her back and forth in her arms, trying to speak over the wailing, "she was abandoned by her parents two weeks ago and was found last week"

"Oh my god",I gasp to thought of someone doing that to an innocent baby, "How old is she?"

"Fifteen months",she responds, handing the child to me.

I gladly take her and cradle her in my arms. She starts to calm a little, but gets a little fussy with me.

"What's her name?",I ask, not looking away from her blue eyes.

"Mia",mom says as she walks away from the kitchen and assumably into her's and dad's room, where dad stays a lot. Not to be rude, but because his job tires him out and he needs his rest.

"It's okay Mia. I'm here, I will help you get better. Are you hungry?",I talk in a soothing voice still swaying back and forth.

She coos as she starts to calm down, a small smile playing with her features at the sound of food. With her still in my arms, or one of my arms, I put some mashed potatoes in the microwave for thirty seconds, just to be sure it didn't get to hot.

"Is she going to be okay?",Blake's soft voice echoes in the kitchen.

"She will be, we just got to take good care of her",I smile, taking the food out of the microwave, I touch ever so slightly to see if it was the right temperature.

Not too hot to burn her, but not cold enough to rid the flavor. I grab a baby spoon from the drawer. It's from when my sister and I were babies, but it suits this purpose just as well. Situating the baby on my hip and holding her as gingerly as possible, I get a petite bite of the warm potatoes on the spoon and she accepts it into her mouth to be filled up.

We stay like this til all the taters are finished and Mia has a smile on her face, Blake watching intently with a smile as well. I can't help but to smile from the two little girls' smiles.

"(Y/n)?",Blake asks, curiosity dripping from her sweet little call of my name.

I hum to tell her I'm busy, but I'm listening.

"Who is Awsten?",she asks.

"How do you know about him?",my eyebrows scrunch together in cofussion.

"He just texted you",she giggles.

"Here, hold Mia for a second",I say as I get closer to Blake, sitting on the wooden stool at the bar and place her on Blake's lap, Blake wraps her arms around Mia so she don't fall off.

I quickly grab my phone off the counter, it was nothing urgent or bad, but I didn't want her to see our conversation or even a snippet of it.

Awsten: so, what did you think about the song?
Awsten: I gotta know before midnight when the album drops

Me: so sorry, I haven't listened yet. I will tho I'm so sorry

Awsten: okay, first stop apologizing.
Awsten: second, that's okay, listen whenever you have time, I'm not gonna force you to listen to it. Just thought itd be cool nvm

Me: no what were you gonna say?

Awsten: doesn't matter. I got to go, imma bout to have zero 0 connection.

Me: okay, btw have fun with the release

Awsten: I will thank you. Good luck with being busy.

Awstens pov

I let out a groan as I put my phone back in it place in my pocket. And continue to walk to the car.

"What's wrong, target girl can't listen to your love song?",Otto teases as he jumps, putting pressure on my shoulders and landing next to me.

"She says she's busy, I don't even know why I tried or what I even tried to get from it",I admit, a sudden tiredness hitting me.

"Awsten, it's okay, maybe she really is busy. And maybe, just maybe, try not to be too hard on yourself",he advices.

It was pointless anyways.

"Or maybe, she fucking other guys because let's face it, I don't know anything about her, except the fact that she really pretty, has a YouTube channel, she seems nice, but for all I know she could secretly kill guys like me and keep them in her basement. Or maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up with this one because in the end she'll either not like me or I'll do some dumb shit like leave or whatever and make her feel less than what she actually is",I say, basically talking really fast, not meaning to sound completely hopeless as I sit next to Lucas, who happens to be in the driver seat.