the big date

"Hey",Kellen greets

"Hey. Sorry I'm a little late",I say, nervousness glued to my words.

"No problem. Let's go in",he says, reaching his hand to the door handle.

I pull his other arm, to get him to stop, "hold on, Kellen. Can we get something... Uh, straight."

His expression drops at my words, I hate that I'm about to do this, but whatever's going on, I have to figure it out before it gets into a mess.

"Kellen, we're just doing this as friends right? Because I'm leaving tomorrow and I can't have unfinished business with anyone or I will continue to postpone it. And that's not really good for me. I'm sorry Kellen."

"Yeah, it's okay. We're just friends",he frowns, holding the door open for me to go past him.

We get seated rather quickly. The shop isn't a place I frequently go, but from the looks of it, not many people do. The walls were a generic coffee color and different coffee related posters, or sayings, or coffee orders or just decorations were splattered over the walls. It was cute.

The waiter came up to us to get our order.

"So, the other day...",Kellen begins, trailing off as I drift in my thoughts consisting of mostly Awsten-related things.

His album is really good and they deserve the success they are getting,but the media can be a really closed in, trapped place. I hope Awsten's doing okay with it all. How did we end up here?

"(Y/n)",Kellen calls me from my daze.

"I'm sorry, what now?",I ask mindlessly.

"Oh nothing, just telling a story about some college show I did. Are you okay? You're… spacey... this evening"

What a great time for the waiter to bring my food- well, our food.

"I'm sorry, Kellen. I really do like you. I don't want to lose this friendship or hurt you in anyway, but this just doesn't feel right. I'm sorry, but I have feelings for someone else."

I pick up my blueberry cheesecake muffin and my warm cup of Cuppacino and stand up, saying one more apology and goodbye for now.

"Kellen, I really am sorry. If you want to come take me to the airport later tomorrow, I'm hoping we can put this behind us."

"Stop saying sorry. I get it. Already forgotten",he forces a smile.

I walk out, not sure to go home and let Mia stay with Awsten or fo to Awsten to get her, either way, it leads to aimlessly walking in the cool streets of LA. Cool as in temperature, let's face it. It's hardly ever cold in LA.

Somewhere between the thinking and cloudiness in my mind, I make it to the place I found all too familiar, but in the best way.

I open the door to a very minimal, to see Awsten tickling the baby I've grown find of's tummy, her giggling very present with her smile, Awsten smiling as well. I've made up my mind. We're going back to Houston and I'm gonna grow up no matter how scary and get some sort of custody over this girl. I don't care if it's a signing of papers or actual court cases. I'll do anything to stop a frown appearing on the little girl's face. I shut the door as lightly as I can. I back to the wall next to the door and press my upper body against it, collapsing my body onto the floor so I'm stiing with my knees against my chest. I place my folded arms over my knees and lay my head down over my arms. I could feel a warm flood wash down my face, as if the tears were candle wax slowly sliding down the candle and my face is the candle. I do t even entirely know why I'm crying at this point. I've cried a lot over the past few days though.

I hear a creaking of a door opening and my name being called, "(y/n)? Are you okay? I thought I heard something out here".

The question is all too discomforting at this point. I can't get out any words, just muffled weeps.

"What happened? Was really that bad?",he asks, taking a seat beside me, putting an arm around me, pulling me into a sort of side hug. I lean my head on his shoulder, still covering my face with my hands.

"You wanna talk about it?",he asks.

I nod, trying to catch my breath and wiping my tears with the back of my hands.

"I really tried, but I couldn't get the one person off my mind. I really like kellen-",my sniff a few tears interupt my words a couple times, "Kellen, as- as a friend. And that's it. But even if this guy did like me back, I'd umm, I couldn't start or do anything about it. I am moving in a like a few hours. I- I don't even know why I'm crying."

"Hey, it's okay. Things'll work out the way they're supposed to. I promise",he assures.

Mia then walks from behind the door, Makin her way to me and Awsten.

"Mommy!",she smiles, working her way into my arm's embrace.

"Wha- Awsten. Did you hear that?",I look in his direction.

"Yeah. I swear i didn't tell her to say that."

"No. It's really okay. Maybe one day, I will be her mom"

"You're incredible, you know that?"

"No, I really am not. I may have broke the heart of one of my best friends. But how were things here for that thirty minutes I wasn't here?",I ask.

"Oh, well, after all the fighting and cutting of limbs, we got along great."

"What? I swear Awsten if there is even a scratch on her I wil-",I let out a smile.

"Nah, I kidding. But j got you to smile",he points at my face that had a small smile playing over it.

"Ah, you got me there."

"So, I leave in coupl'a days for tour, and I- nevermind",he hesitates.

"What? I won't force you to tell me, but if you have something you want to say, you can."

"Nah, it's fine.",he tickles Mia's tummy, causing her to laugh a scrunch up her nose, "I think we need to get this one inside or to your place so she doesn't end up staying awake all night"

"Care if we stay over?"

"Not at all, come on in",he stands up and offers his hand to help me up. I take his offer and stand up, wiping the remnant of tears from my face, and using the other hand to grab her hand to lead her inside.