FOUR (ISELEN POV)

I leave the glass box frowning then minutes later, rubbing my skin bewildered. Ruby was right and the feeling under those purifying rays is very similar to water drops running down my skin but my body's dry and I don't need a towel... it's weird. The fact is that I'm clean, there's no doubt of that, and my hair shines with a lot of volume... I didn't need a hairdryer or brush and it's not even tangled. But I'd better hurry up before my... partner gets impatient and walks into the bathroom looking for me. I can't help blushing again and grab the big dark blue sheet in order to wrap my naked body up carefully before moving closer to one of the sinks. The counter seems to be made of some kind of blueish-green stone that looks like marble but there aren't drawers or cabinets anywhere and the tap looks odd, I guess I'll find more of those purifying rays instead of water if I turn it on... I bite my lower lip, hesitating for a second, and ask very quietly:

"Alrisha?"

"Yes?" the computer answers with the same soft tone and her voice seems to come from the mirror in front of me.

"Can you tell me how....? Where is...? I need to brush my teeth but I don't know how..."

"Of course, Nin.... It's pretty simple, actually... You have to put this pill in your mouth and suck on like it's a hard candy." The mirror shows a red arrow pointing down and one of those colourful tiles near the sink opens suddenly like some kind of drawer, there's a small white pill inside that I take carefully and put on my tongue after hesitating a little. It tastes good... kind of herbal and sweet, like strawberry toothpaste for kids.

"Thank you for your help. What does Nin mean?"

"Lady... that's the proper way to address to an Anunnaki woman although it has special significance since you're Ruby's partner."

"I understand... well, no, not really. Is this because Ruby wears black clothes? I mean that only high class members of your society wear that colour..." I hold the sheet around my chest trying not to think about how odd it feels to talk to a mirror like I'm Snow White's evil stepmother.

"Ruby's our Nin Dingir... it means 'Mistress of the Sky' in the old language and was the title of Mother Nature's high priestesses. The role of a Nin Dingir has changed over the eons of our history, they used to worship the Goddess and later they studied her, trying to understand her and control her, if possible. Ruby is our head of scientists and investigators and her position in society is very high... the highest one, actually. Only Antares could compare to her because he's the head of our security forces but the Council will always accept the suggestions of our Nin Dingir first. Scientists have saved our race on countless occasions, they built this ship, we grow plants and have food and clean air thanks to their inventions, they cure diseases and help women to have more children... they programmed me..."

"Now I understand, thank you. I wonder if things would be better on Earth if scientists and humanists were making decisions instead of politicians and businessmen... And where is Nin Dingir right now?"

"She's waiting for you in her bedroom. Your food is ready."

"Well, thank you, Alrisha." The computer remains silent while I get closer to the door and stick my head trough it shyly: the bed is made with new sheets and everything looks clean. Ruby's sitting on the other side of the room, on an emerald green couch, and seems to be focused on the small screen that she's holding in her hands. She's decently dressed with some pants and a shirt, in black of course, but she's barefoot and leans her feet on a pillow on the floor. I can't help staring at her mesmerized... She's incredibly beautiful and her hair colour makes me oddly happy but I don't know why. "Nin Dingir..." I whisper and she looks up, startled.

"No..." She jumps from the couch like a spring, dropping the screen, and runs towards me quickly. "I mean... Yes, but you shouldn't call me that, it's too formal and you're my partner..."