TEN (ISELEN POV)

"Iselen, I'd like to know what's wrong..." Ruby's soft tone of voice snaps me back to reality and I realize that I've been staring at my bowl of fruit for a few minutes, lost in my thought, while my mate ate her breakfast. I look at her blinking to clear my mind and she tilts her head to one side, watching me cautiously, but she remains still and doesn't touch me like she usually did... I miss her, I shouldn't have asked her for personal space. "Babe, what's happening?" Suddenly, the angel moves closer and hugs me tight, my tears are soaking her black shirt while I sob on her shoulder and my heart races when I remember Heze is monitoring everything and will rush into this apartment if I don't calm down, most likely. "Iselen, please, talk to me... I can't help you if I don't know what's wrong..."

"I'm sorry..." I take a deep breath trying to cool off and Ruby moves slightly to pull away but my fingers on her ribs stop her holding her tight, it's hard enough to apologize for being a stupid human, I don't want to look at her face while doing it. "Heze explained me yesterday that I was being very unfair to you when I compared our relationship to your affair with Vir... I'm really sorry, I never meant to insult you..."

"So this is what was bugging you since last night..." The angel moves away but keeps cradling my face with her hands looking right into my eyes. "Is this the reason why you've been so silent and absent?" Ruby closes her eyes when I nod and heaves a sigh, tilting her head forward till she leans her forehead on mine. "For the Goddess' sake, babe, you've scared the hell out of me... It's okay, you didn't know it, this is one of those cultural differences between our two races and I understand it. I've messed things up on previous occasions too..."

"You've never insulted me..." I reply pouting.

"Give me some time, I bet I'll say something wrong in the future... but we both know that's going to happen and we shouldn't take it personally..."

"Yesterday, I asked Heze if you were going to cheat on me with Vir if I didn't have sex with you soon..." The alien pulls away abruptly and stares at me trying to keep a neutral expression despite her hands both sides of my face are tensed now. She seems to be thinking what to say cautiously and I hold my breath... I don't want her to be furious with me but I also want to be honest and learn more about Anunnaki' relationships so I don't make a mistake again.

"Have I ever showed any sign that I'd do something like that?" she whispers with a hurt tone of voice.

"No, of course not. This is what happens when my stupid human brain overthinks and..." My mate slides her hands over my shoulders and arms till she entwines her fingers with mines on my lap.

"Human brain isn't stupid but it works differently. I guess Heze didn't like to hear you speaking like that..."

"She turned livid," I admit grimacing. "But I didn't know..."

"I know, babe. Once I told you that biology makes impossible for me to consider any other woman as a potential partner now that I've found you but maybe I should've explained it better to you." Ruby sighs and seems to choose her words carefully. "Anunnaki have a higher IQ than humans, we're more rational and pragmatic beings, less emotional maybe, but when our instinct takes control we're more primal than you. My brain knows you're my perfect match, the partner who will ensure that my daughters will be strong and intelligent, with more chances of survival, and I can't ignore my hypothalamus..." I frown confused and the angel bites her lower lip. "It's complicated... the truth is that I can't feel sexual desire or affection for any other woman but you, when I look at Vir... my brain doesn't secrete the right kind of hormones for me to... However, I'd like to do it nonstop with you..."

"And this is because you've seen a high rate of compatibility on a screen..." I whisper blushing.

"Yes, you're right. And because you're beautiful, smart, sweet... I'm very lucky." The angel rubs her knuckles on my wet cheek. "In addition to this, there's the cultural aspect, we're brought up to be respectful and protective with our mates but also our race. When your entire civilization is nomadic and has to survive in the vast, hostile space, strong, smart and decisive children are essential in order to ensure the future of our race. If I ignore my instincts, that are focused on you and only you, to court a different woman, it'd be a betrayal of my people because I'd be failing to provide them with perfect girls... and that's frowned upon in our social circles."