TWELVE (ISELEN POV)

I've been so stupid... I should've accepted Ruby's suggestion. She explained to me that I could wear human clothes to the Council meeting if I felt more comfortable, it's an important event so it should be formal attire but she was willing to order whatever I wanted to the Earth, from the designer I'd want, no matter the cost... I just had to point at Alrisha's screen and an Elie Saab would be mine...My angel always tries to make things easier for me but I thought it'd be better if I wore Anunnaki clothes, that could help me to blend in, I wouldn't stand out or draw unwanted attention and I'd feel calmer... But no, I'm very anxious actually, my stomach is turning nonstop despite I've barely eaten a bite, I won't be able to avoid being the centre of attention since I'm going to be introduced to the Council officially... and now I have to deal with a very heavy dress.

"You look beautiful," Ruby whispers staring at me with shiny eyes while Heze fixes one of the bracelets and I smile in response. Maybe it'll be worth it if she's happy.

"Look who's talking, you're an angel..." I whisper staring at her spotless white dress that contrasts with her pink and violet hair. "Are you going to wear jewels?"

"I won't need them since I'll be the only one wearing white today so I'll stand out regardless... Heze, can you fix that pleat on her shoulder?" The doctor rushes to obey and I try to keep my back straight to help her. "I know the dress is a bit archaic and you aren't used to wear these kinds of clothes but you look really pretty, Iselen, honestly..."

"Archaic?" I frown, puzzled. That's not the way I'd describe it... I'm wearing a long tunic in a flashy red colour made with a soft fabric that feels like silk embroidered with golden thread, it fits my body perfectly wrapped around my breasts and hips, going up my back and falling from my shoulder leaving the other one naked. Necklaces, bracelets, earrings and hair ornaments are made of fine gold chains with ruby pendants, I guess the gems pay homage to my mate. "I think it's a stunning dress and it looks a lot like the saris women wear in India..."

"I'm glad you like it. The truth is that we don't get dressed like this except to attend a handful of events every year, it's one of the few old traditions we still keep even if these clothes are far from comfortable, we can't move freely and this isn't state-of-the-art nanotechnology fabric... You'll only have to wear the dress for a few hours, I promise..."

"I don't need Nin's shirt sending me a message to know that she's extremely anxious." Heze whispers stepping back and watching me with a critical eye, her blue tunic with silver embroidered work matches her beautiful hair. "Are you sure you don't want a tranquilizer? You're shaking..." Ruby gets closer to me and frowns worried when she holds my hands and feels my pulse racing under her fingers.

"Iselen, babe..."

"I don't want drugs," I cut her off angrily. "They make me feel dizzy and mess with my sleep patterns..."

"Not our drugs, this will make you feel better but not groggy... Can I...?" I shrug and move my arm closer to the doctor so she can inject whatever she wants in my body, obeying is easier than arguing with them and the truth is that I'm a little worried about embarrassing Ruby passing out or stuttering like an idiot. Besides, they were right as usual and I feel better a few minutes later: I'm still worried but at least the adrenaline doesn't run wild through my veins anymore.

"It's time to go, babe. Do you remember what you have to do? Do you have your earbud?" My angel smiles and I can't help staring at her, dazzled. "Iselen?"

"I understand why my race ancestors thought you were gods coming from the sky, you're so beautiful you don't look real..." I whisper and Ruby smiles, leaning forward to kiss me...

"Your transport is waiting." Alrisha's voice echoes in the room and my mate looks up outraged, I can't help laughing at her angry face while the aliens look at me confused: whatever is that thing Heze gave me, it's working and I'm able to make jokes despite I'm still nervous.