18.

Penelope
1 month later

"Yeah, I'm almost there. I'm like two blocks away." I said into the phone, talking to Jakari.

"Alright, I'm by the door. I'll just stand here and wait for you."

"Okay, cool." I told her before hanging up.

I was currently on my way to my school and surprisingly I was in a great mood. It'd been a long month since everything went down and I was just happy to be in a better space. My brothers were gone and I'm never speaking to them again. As well as Kojo, I'd been ducking and dodging him as much as I could. All in all, things have definitely been in my favor these days and I couldn't complain.

Though Reap passed away, I couldn't bring myself to cry anymore tears for him. After long reflection, I realized how dumb I was being. No one deserves to die the way that he did but I wasn't in pain or ruining my peace to feel a way for him. He was gone and that was that.

Walking up to my school, I saw J standing in the doorway like she said she would.

"Hey." She spoke, looking up from her phone.

"Hey, J."

"I see you're back to your signature sweatpants and hoodie."

"Yeah, it's more me." I shrugged and a smile spread across her face.

"I'm happy your back, P." Was all she said as we made our way to our first class of the day.

Once we made it to our class, we took our seats and waiting for our professor to enter the room.

"So how do you feel?" She asked and I shrugged.

"I feel good. Better actually."

"Have you talk to any of your brothers?"

"Smoke." I nodded.

"He came here and helped me move my stuff into my new apartment the other day." I explained to her.

"That's the only brother you've spoken to in a month, P?"

"That's my only brother.." I trailed off and she shook her head, laughing.

"You're a mess." She went on to say and I shrugged.

"Well how about Kojo? Have the two of you talked since your kiss?"

Side eyeing her, I ignored her question because I didn't even want to talk about him. It was like whenever you said his name, he always popped up somehow and I didn't need that happening.

"Nope. Haven't talked to him and I don't want to talk about him either. That stuff is the past, this is the present."

Snickering to herself, the professor walked in and I mentally prepared myself for the work we were about to do.

You got this. I thought to myself.

*

Kojo

"Ma, I just got out of class. Why can't you get her?" I asked, walking to my car with my phone to ear.