CHAPTER 16

"I know that you keep calling my phone but baby there ain't nobody home. So why don't you leave your name and your number, I will get back to you"
How Ya Doin'?- Little Mix ft Missy Elliott

~~~

I take deep breaths as I knock on Mrs Leighton's door and step back, fiddling with my phone. I glance at my sisters who are busy checking their make-up on their compacts. How do they think they look?? They're wearing a ridiculous amount of makeup and objected when I told them it was too much.

I hope that my sisters won't fight at this dinner. I even called my Mom and asked her to come over so she could join us for the dinner; it was a sure guarantee that my sisters would behave. She couldn't come, but at least she would make it to the engagement. If she had been here, all this drama wouldn't have happened.

I was so overwhelmed with everything that was happening that I called my mom. I hadn't told her what was going on because I didn't want her to overthink. She was upset with me for not telling her about everything but at least she had some words of encouragement and advice that made me feel a lot better. I should have called her earlier.

Now that mom was coming soon everything will be alright in no time. I smile heartily as Mrs Leighton opens the door and smiles.

'Someone looks happy tonight.' she says, pulling me in for a hug.

'Thanks for inviting us to dinner.' I say.

'Oh it's nothing. We're going to be family soon so we might as well start bonding now.' She sees my sisters and I can see the shock on her face. Why did they have to wear so much makeup?? I mentally scold myself for being their sister. 'And these must be your sisters.'

'Yes they are.' I say, nudging them forward.

'You three are so identical. Welcome to my home girls. And you are Bonnie-Anne, right??' Mrs Leighton hugs Mary-Anne.

'I'm not Bonnie.' Mary-Anne says.

'Oh, then you're Mary-Anne,' Mrs Leighton says and hugs Bonnie-Anne, 'welcome to the family Bonnie-Anne.'

'Thank you so much Mrs Leighton.'

Phew!! So far my sisters have been good, I hope they keep it up till we get home. As we go inside we are welcomed by Sheldon and Shawn and exchange pleasantries.

'Shane!! Come on dear, your in-laws are here!!' Mrs Leighton calls out.

A tall handsome guy with full dark hair and darker eyes comes out from the kitchen and smiles at us. Wow, Mrs Leighton's sons are very good looking.

'Girls, this is my son, Sheldon and Shawn's triplet brother, Shane. Shane this is Shawn's fiance, Bonnie-Anne, Sheldon's girlfriend, Leigh-Anne and this is their sister, Mary-Anne.'

'Nice to finally meet you, ladies, I've heard a lot about you especially you Leigh-Anne. My mom and Sheldon have said so many nice things about you.' he says, his gaze not leaving me. Why is he staring at me that way, it's weird.

'What are we waiting for?? Let's have dinner. I'll serve the food now.' Mrs Leighton says as she goes into the kitchen.

'This is very nice Mrs Leighton. I think I might have to borrow the recipe.' I say and chuckle.

Mrs Leighton just laughs and says, 'Then you'd have to ask Shane for it because he's the one who made this lasagna.' I and my sisters were the only ones who looked surprised.

'Oh, I forgot to mention that tonight's dinner is courtesy of Shane. He's a great cook and also owns a chain of fast food restaurants in England and Ireland. He's planning on expanding to other countries.' Mrs Leighton adds, obviously proud of her son.

'That is very impressive. I will definitely have to learn a few recipes from you someday, Shane, you are really good at what you do.' I say and look at him only to find him already smiling at me.

'Thank you.' he says and smiles wider.

Am I the only one who notices Shane's gaze at me??

'So how long have you been together??' Mrs Leighton directs her question to Bonnie and Shawn.

She didn't know about the whole "Shawn being a scum" drama and it was better that way.

'About a month.' Bonnie replies.

Mrs Leighton was shocked now, 'And you decided to get engaged??'

'Yes, we love each other so much.' At this, Bonnie holds Shawn's hand and they stare at each other, smiling.

'But don't you think it's a little too soon?? Give yourself some more time so you can get to know each other better.'

'We already know everything we need to know about each other. We really want to get married so why wait longer??'

Know everything about each other?? Pfft, if only she knew.

'Okay, as long as you're both happy I don't have a problem. So when is the wedding??'

'Don't you think that's a little too soon??' Shawn asks and Bonnie looks a little surprised at him but he is quick to add, 'I mean, we need time after our engagement to get ready for our wedding. We shouldn't hurry things so they wouldn't flop. We just need to take our time with this, okay.'

'Okay.' Bonnie simply says.

'Can we enjoy our dinner now without talking about marriage??' Mae snaps as she stabs her food but I seemed to be the only one that noticed cause everyone was still all smiles. Good.

After the sumptuous meal, Shane serves dessert and my does this lemon meringue pie look and smell good. I moan softly as I eat the pie and caught Shane staring at me. His stare was so intense I thought he could see my soul and spirit.

'Shane' I call out, his stare was becoming scary, as though he was targeting me to murder me.

Good thing I took taekwondo classes in my fifth grade.

'Cheers to Bonnie-Anne and Shawn's engagement and to the union of both families.' Mrs Leighton says as she raises her glass and we all do the same, saying, 'cheers'.

We keep on talking and laughing until Mae says, 'You know there was a time that Shawn was madly in love with me.'

I whip my head towards her and the look on her face said it all; she was drunk. Which meant, no shutting up.

Just great.

******************************

Don't forget to vote if you liked the chapter... it doesn't take much, just hit the star 😉

Thanks for reading and voting ☺

Hugs X Kisses,
Your girl, Kemas 😘