CHAPTER 17

"I know that you want it but you can't cause you gotta stay cool in the corner when the truth is that you wanna move, so move"
Move- Little Mix

~~~

Everyone stares at Mae as she giggles and downs the wine in her glass. Bonnie and I look at each other, not knowing what to do. I give Mae a "you can shut up now" look but trust drunk Mae to ignore it and keep on talking.

'Stop giving me that look Leigh.' Mae says and I glance at Mrs Leighton who was confused.

Oh boy.

'He loved me so much. But my shitty sister had to go and fall in love with him, taking him away from me!!' Mae shouts, banging her hand on the table.

'Shut up Mae, now is not the time.' Bonnie says, glaring at Mae but Mae glares back instead of shutting up.

'You shut up!! You Shawn snatcher!!'

If I don't do something fast, these two could end up fighting. Mrs Leighton looked scared while Shane looked amused.

'Shawn, Bonnie-Anne, what is she talking about??

'Nothing' Bonnie and Shawn say in unison.

'She's just a little drunk so she doesn't know what she's saying.' I say and chuckle, 'Don't pay attention to her.'

'Hey!! Who're you calling drunk, you drunk!!' Mae stands but she wobbles and almost falls but Shawn quickly catches her. 'Thank you my love.'

Bonnie gets upset and pulls Shawn away from Mae.

'What do you think you're doing??' Mae asks, dragging Shawn from her.

'Get your hands off him.' Bonnie drags him back.

'You thief-' Mae lunges towards Bonnie but I stop her.

'I think we need to get her home now. She needs some rest.' I say as I put Mae's hand around my shoulder, helping her balance.

'I don't need rest, I just need Shawn.' she drawls and Bonnie clutches Shawn's arm.

'Thank you so much Mrs Leighton for your hospitality and thank you Shane for the sumptuous dinner but we have to go now. I'm so sorry for my sister's behaviour.'

'It's okay dear, I understand. I'm just glad you were able to come.'

'I'll help you take her to your car.' Sheldon carries Mae and goes outside.

'Good night Mrs Leighton, Shane.' Bonnie says.

'Good night Bonnie-Anne.'

I go outside and Bonnie follows suit. Mae is already lying in the back seat of my car and Bonnie angrily goes to sit in the passenger seat, banging the car door shut. I'm about to enter my car when Sheldon stops me.

'I think Shawn is getting suspicious.'

'How??'

'He thinks we're up to something since we're okay with his getting married to Bonnie-Anne knowing that he doesn't love her.'

'He is smart, doesn't want anything ruining his plans.'

'I just told him that we want him to see how much Bonnie-Anne loves him so he could change his mind. I'm sure he bought it.'

'He better. I should go now, Bonnie gets impatient when she's upset.'

'Good night beautiful and take care of your sister, she nearly caused a scene in there.' he says and hugs me.

'I'm sorry about that, good thing your mom is so nice.'

I'm about to enter my car when Shane stops me.

What is it now??

'You left your phone Leigh-Anne.' he says and hands it to me.

'Oh, thank you. I must've forgot it due to all the racket.' I take it from him but he lets his hand linger on mine before letting go.

'Anytime.' he winks at me and I just stare at him in surprise.

'Uh... sure.' I open my car door, his stare following my every movement.

'I hope we see again soon.' He whispers to me as he helps me close my car door. I glance at Sheldon who is still smiling at me so I wave at him.

'It's about time!!' Bonnie says as I start the car.

You have no idea.

When we get home, Bonnie just stomps inside.

'Bonnie!?' I call out but she doesn't come back so I just sigh and carry Mae to the couch. If I try carrying her up the stairs we may not make it up the stairs.

Why did Mae have to go and get herself drunk, she completely embarrassed us in front of Mrs Leighton. If I hadn't stopped her, she and Bonnie would've definitely fought.

Just as I am about to go upstairs, my phone vibrates and I'm surprised to see the person that texted me.

Shane.