Chapter Eight

While Maddox had accepted my wish to be alone, he certainly wasn't happy about it. For the past three days, he would come knocking at my door. He would tell me what they're eating for their meal and if I was sure that I would rather eat in my room. Arya had been asking for me, so had Beau. But I still couldn't say yes, so I would tell whichever lady in waiting had been assigned to talk to him that I would rather stay inside, and he would reply with a dejected tone, and I wouldn't see him for another couple of hours, at the most until the next meal.

At some point during this time, two Epsilon had been placed outside my door. Epsilon were warriors. Fierce, strong wolves that had been trained from an extremely young age to kill. When you compared the guards to an Epsilon, a guard would lose in a minute. Their wolves were killing machines, but not as much as their human side.

They had only tried to interact with me once, I had fainted. Faith told them that I was extremely tired, as apparently, wolves take their Luna's approval way too seriously.

I wasn't coping.

I hadn't left the room, Maddox had people bring in all sorts of things for me, board games, books, drawing equipment.

I sent them back and told him to take them to the humans in the slums who were starving.

Whether or not he listened, I didn't know.

At the fourth day, I decided I needed to leave. I knew I wouldn't be able to go home, I wouldn't be able to get past the first set of Epsilon that probably guarded the entryway. So I had to settle for the closest thing to home that this palace could offer. 

The Servants Quarters.

Verity, Haven and Faith weren't here, they couldn't spend all day with me as they had other jobs to attend to, so I began my journey alone. I was in a plain, black dress with white lace accents. My hair was pulled into a wispy bun at the nape of my neck. It was the most casual thing in my wardrobe, and I really didn't want to be recognised as the queen straightaway. Just a few moments of no one knowing who I was, just for a taste of my old life. I opened up the door, the Epsilon immediately turning to me,

"Good morning Luna Queen, where are you off to?" One chirped. My mind flashed back to Maddox's words when I was first informed about the placement of the Epsilon,

"They'll be required to follow you and act as your own personal guards. I'm sorry but there weren't any humans who had the strength required. Dove, if it helps, both of the Epsilon I've chosen have human mates who are very happy-"

I wanted to cry. No way in hell was these two going to follow me around. I needed to be in a human environment, with no wolves in sight.

"Um, I'm just going to visit Maddox," I whispered, hoping they wouldn't see my bluff.

The other smiled, "Of course Luna, I'm sure he'll be ecstatic to see you, he's in his office. As long as you know where you're going, then I don't think we should accompany you. Just so you can be left alone with your mate."

I tried to grin as widely as I could and nodded, "Thank you."

They nodded happily and returned to their original position. Shoulders back and a glare that could burn a hole in a wall. I walked forward, tumbling down endless steps and corridors until I found myself underneath the castle. Even the basement was fit for a King. It seemed my dress was doing the trick, as the maids and servants that walked around me barely even spared me a glance. It was refreshing. I kept walking, following a chain of people until I ended up in a room.

The kitchens,

Though it was mid-morning, it was still extremely busy. Almost every bench was full, someone at the front was barking orders.