Chapter Eighteen

It seemed that every building owned by the Royal family had a meeting room. The one we were currently occupying was enormous, around the same size as the one back in Gyabo, maybe even slightly smaller. I sat at the far end of the table, Maddox sitting stoically by my side. Every seat was occupied by either an Alpha or his Luna. The atmosphere was tense, I could see the tears that streaked down their flawless faces. I wondered who they had lost, a friend, a child, a niece or nephew, even a mate. Not everyone in the room had someone occupying the seat next to them.

After what seemed like an eternity of silence, Maddox began to speak.

"Does anyone in this room have any idea what just happened?" He inquired through gritted teeth.

An Alpha from the back snorted, "We were attacked."

Maddo's gaze locked on him, a small snarl rumbled out, "Your disrespect is excused. Anything else?"

A young boy spoke next, clearly, he hadn't been in his position of power very long, "Your highness, Perhaps they were the same group of people who have been leading the attacks. There was a reported case from Olieda, where the Polar Moon pack resides, that the same letters, K U T, had been engraved into the bodies of the wolves that they had killed."

"It's highly logical that these attacks are connected. They've been happening more frequently as of late, and an entire hall full of every high ranking wolf in the Northern Continent would be seen as a fantastic opportunity to do a lot of damage." Maddox agreed.

I had no idea what they were talking about. Maddox had mentioned about an attack in the downtown and as a victim of the bombing, I was very familiar with that. But clearly, there had been more attacks, attacks that had been hidden from the public, glazed over as probably explosions from abandoned mines back from the war and god knows what else. I spared a glance to Maddox, who looked away from my gaze sheepishly. 

"Your highness, if you wouldn't mind me saying, there are rumours that whoever are carrying out these attacks aren't wolves or a group of rogues as we prophesied." Another Alpha began nervously, "Kepp in mind your highness, it is only rumoured, but they're saying that it's a group of rebels. Human rebels."

Those two words struck a feeling of ice within my heart, something much too familiar.

"Continue," Maddox grunted, a vein in his forehead popping out, showing his anger.

"I believe that they may have attacked the castle, not to make their cause known, but for another reason entirely," The shaking Alpha's eyes landed on me, dragging the attention of everyone in the room from the wall to my figure instead. "A human Luna Queen would make the perfect mascot for their cause, a way to gather followers and supporters by using her experience with us. Should your mate refuse to carry out these actions... I would say that she would make a mighty fine piece of bait."

Thoe words struck a chord within my mate, causing his fangs to come out and his entire body to launch out of his seat. I grabbed his arm as soon as I felt his anger bubbling to the surface.

"It's fine Maddox, it's alright," I whispered, and reluctantly, he sat back down. His breathing was still heavy and his canines were still out, a dribble of blood running down his chin from the piercing made in his lip.

"What you are suggesting, "Maddox spat, "Is that they attacked the estate, as a way for them to take my mate away and use her as a, what word did you use? A mascot?"

The Alpha gulped, "Yes?"

"Should you say one more word Alpha Jones, you will yourself dead by my hands. My wolf has been angered, another useless word from you will set him off to a point where not even my mate herself can calm me down."